Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Grizzly Bears in Alberta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Grizzly Bears in Alberta

What's the grizzly bear population like in western Alberta around the Peace River
Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Grizzly Bears in Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Bears View Post
What's the grizzly bear population like in western Alberta around the Peace River
Total provincal estimates are about 700 bears and the season has been closed for 5 years now. Groups are pushing to have them listed as endangered in Alberta and this might come to pass in the next few years.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

The Grizzly bear hunt has been closed in Alberta for 10 years or so. This is a purely political thing and there are more grizzlies than ever. They are expanding their ranges and are quite the nuisance in places.

Areas I used to hunt for black bear north and west of Peace river are now closed to baiting due to grizzly bears moving into the area and game wardens wish to keep human/grizzly encounters/problems to a minimum.

I would love to hunt grizzly bears in Alberta some day. Hopefully the powers that be pull their head out of their arses soon and it can become a reality.

Why is the original question asked???
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks Eric for the info - the reason I asked is because a budy of mine is planning a moose hunt in the area and I told him from what I have read there are grizz in the area. Dan
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard reports of less between 700-900 bears in Alberta total. That, however, is coming from the strong conservative crowd. even if the numbers were just above 1000 (which i suspect they are) why bother being in danger of having ow #'s? Im no hippie, dont get me wrong but Alberta (at least outside the National Park) is a mediocere habitat for grizzlies anyway. If you really want a bear go West or North and find the Big bears. Coastal B.C or Alaska are by far where the big bears roam, and the populations are extremly sustainable. I am originally from the B.C interior and am now living in Drayton Valley Ab. People back home used to hunt grizz around Prince George and Revelstoke, but the bears arent trophy class. Arent grizzlies supposed to be the ultimate North American trophy?

Sorry if I flamed someone, not intentional. I just though about it alot when I lived in B.C and came to the conclusion that if I was going to hunt a Grizz, I would hunt the big ones, where there populations can easily take deficit. I would love to see grizzlies reclaime a bit of there historical territory... the praries!

Edit- Sorry should have read the O.P a little better. but the point is the same.
I would carry a can of bear spray and dont worry about the bears too much. The C.O's pretty much need to see scratch/bite marks on you for you to get off with self defence scott free. I know because my Dad was standing next to a guy that shot one in selfe defence, and he nearly had his stuff taken.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

I'm not saying kill all the G-bears. A very limited hunt to remind the Grizz that human is the top predator.

That's a big grizz track I walked across a few years ago. That was south of Grande Prairie.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

thats a gooder! Ive heard of a few guys runnning intop them near Cythia and the Elk River. The bears dont really concern me right now... its the bloody wolves. They are everywhere around here and they're BIG.