Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Grizzly attack in Yellowstone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Grizzly attack in Yellowstone

Another man killed by a bear in Yellowstone

This is the second person killed by bears in Yellowstone this year. Maybe they will consider taking them off endangered list soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grizzly attack in Yellowstone

A couple of years ago, my wife and I took the kids to an evening ranger talk about bears while camping on the shores of Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone NP. While we appreciated the talk overall,the two most telling comments that came from this authority figure to a group of folks, that for the most part, had no reason to question what she said were, "Grizzlies are only located in Yellowstone and Glacier NP's in the lower 48," and, "Bears don't eat people".

My wife had to restrain me as the audience sat drinking it all in... If that's the kind of info the rangers that give talks on bears in Yellowstone give out, it's no wonder that we are where we are with predators in the lower 48.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Well my grandpa has some dead calves and a few stolen elk carcases that beg to differ the location of the bears argument. and I know a couple people that have been attacked on the north fork and by meeteetsee that feel pretty strongly the bear wanted to eat them.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Have you folks seen the story of the Idaho man arrested for killing a grizzly in his own yard. If you have any delusions that the anti's or general public cares who or what gets hurt by grizzlies follow the posts being left on news stories about this. USFW needs to be eliminated.
As far as the them being only in the Parks I'd buy a tag that said I could hunt them any where but the Parks. I don't know where in Washington you hail from jmden, but I know of one really good trail cam pic of a real bruiser at a stock pond just out of Deer Park, and TV news a few years back had good footage of a Deer Park back yard-swing set and all, with a grizzly present. Biologist in the Cascade finally caved and agreed Grizzlies live there.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
Another man killed by a bear in Yellowstone

This is the second person killed by bears in Yellowstone this year. Maybe they will consider taking them off endangered list soon.

There are millions living in denial and can't comprehend that an animal has a brain of their own. It reminds me of the story I saw on the news last week. A dog was attacked and killed by a black bear down in florida. During the interview with the dogs owner, she told the newscast workers that she just couldn't understand why that bear was being so aggressive.( are you kidding me?) It turns out, the reason the bear did attack that dog was because it was eating it's meal and the dog tried to take it from him.(duh) I have run into a lot of people around here that have it programmed into their head, that animals are defenseless and will not attack you.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

A person gets killed by a sow with cubs, and the media bleeds excuses and validation. A man kills because he feels his cubs a threatened and it's a whole different story. Some would accord us less rights than bears.
I predict more aggression from Yellowstone bears. One of the folks involved in Grizzly management (Severheen) spoke of scarcity of food. Mentioned every food source under the sun except elk. With grizzly fur being found in wolf scat, and video of wolves trying to take cubs, the sows will be increasingly on edge.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

I have also heard of wolves killing grizzly cubs. There are plenty of grizzlies where I hunt which has a bearing on what caliber I hunt with and also whether or not there is a 454 cassul on my hip.