Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Fall Baiting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Fall Baiting

I will be putting out my bait again here in a little less than a month. I have aquired a few new tricks to try like some better scent etc.. I am wondering what kind of luck those of you who bait spring and fall in the same spot have in the fall. are the bears harder or easier to get to come in? What differences do you see between spring and fall baiting? It has been very dry here so the grasses and wild berries are probably not a great food source this year. I dont have a tag but I am hoping to get some bears in and hopefully learn more about baiting them and hopefully get my dad or sister a bear.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fall Baiting

Bears are never far from their stomach. What do bears feed on in your area, is it seasonal. Check with the biologist, I've never chased bears in the habitat you guys are in, but where their principle food is in the time I was hunting is where I'd try to be. I saw a bit on the Yellowstone bears in the high country, mostly grizzly but black bear, as well. In August the bear were up high digging up moths for probably 20,000 calories a day with good fat content. What season dates are you working with?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

The season opens September 1

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

If food is scarce they'll be traveling. If a food source is found they will live on it if it's enough, or check back if it's replenished on schedule. The best habitat is occupied by dominant boars. Take out the king, and the contenders and pretenders move in. I'd re-bait your original site and see what happens. If it's getting hit keep it stocked as much as you can, and double down the latter part of August to hunt September. Fat content counts more in fall as they try to get ready for dens. In the fall I put out feed for the deer and turkeys. While they will eat all of it the, black oil sunflower seeds go first. They'll dig the brush out trying to get to it even if something else is in easier reach. I'll double check the bag but it's like 35% fat. If I'm remembering right meat products are out for you Wyoming guys. Can a guy have more than 1 site in the designated area?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

We can use meat, just not wild game, fish, etc. For example, we're legal to use jackrabbits since they're labeled as predators.. but I haven't had any luck with them. Also, we can only have one bait in per section.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Elkoholic beat me to it but he is right.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Anyway you look at it you guys are doing great. Confidence comes with time in, and I'm betting you'll make it work. They don't seem to care for dog either. Our biggest bear pushed past meat scraps, ding dongs, fruit etc for a green tomato go figure. Fat is better than meat in my experience if you have access to it cheap. Bear fat especially gets them serious, but there's that whole legal thing. September 1 until quota, date, or both?