Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Daughters new bear rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Daughters new bear rifle

I recently bought my daughter a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in 280 Rem. I put a Leuplod Ultra Light scope on it for her. She is 14 shes not a small girl as she is big into sports and is about 5ft 7in and 130 lbs.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wanted to get her a capable rifle for Bear and Elk here in WA and it not wear her out carrying it in the woods. Well the rifle weighs right at 7lbs gun, scope, sling with three shells in it weighs 7lbs 4 oz to be exact and I think it will kick the tar out of her. So I went and dropped it off at my gun smith to have it threaded for a break.

Here is my question. The guy I bought the rifle off of had 6 boxes of Hornady 139 grain inter-locks. I think they would be good on deer but I was thinking more for Elk and Bear so what bullet do you all suggest for her using it on bear. I was thinking atleast 160gr and a bonded bullet. I shoot either of my 300's with 210 amaxs for bear and elk I shoot 300 gr bergers out of my 338 Lapua I am just not sure or very familiar with the 28 caliber so all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Daughters new bear rifle

IMO, the 139 grain bullet is too light for bear or elk. I would think that, depending on the twist, something closer to 160 - 165 grains would be a better choice and with the muzzle brake she should be able to handle the recoil nicely - shouldn't be anything greater than a 6BR at the bench (well, perhaps at 7 pounds it'd offer a few more foot pounds of recoil energy than the 6BR)

Here's a confidence building article:

A Few Kind Words About the .280 Remington | Field & Stream

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.

Last edited by FearNoWind; 03-15-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

140 partitions would be fine. 160 would be better
Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

I think any Banres TTSX or LRX will upgrade the killing power of whatever rifle you use it in. I wouldn't hesitate to take on moose with a Banres bullet and a 280 Rem.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen a couple of rodeo's with the 7mm and bears. Some recovered, some not. The main thing, is whatever bullet she uses, think like a bow hunter, and wait until the chest isn't covered by that big bicep.

Small bear you can blow through with good bullets, but as it gets later in the year I've seen 8-10 inches of fat over the ribs. To get through that, after going through hide, muscle, bone, muscle, hide, and then hide over the chest is a lot to ask.

I won't say it can't be done, but I will say I've seen it fail.

Where in WA will you hunt? Generally, Eastern, Cascade, Wet Side.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

I sure like the looks of the Weatherby Ultralights. I haven't had a .257 in 30 years, and I may have to change that.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM

I was on a hunt with a friends kid. he was using a 7-08 loaded with 130 barnes bullets and complete pass through on a big cow elk. So I think any premium bullet in the 140-150 should do great in your daughters 280. Let us know if she has killed anything with the rifle yet.