Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Californina Bear Hunters ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Gold Member

Californina Bear Hunters ??

I will be hunting bears in California this fall with my son in and around Quincy Plumas county .........................Does anyone have any experiance hunting this area? I was up there last weekend and it was really dry.............I did see one Sow with cubs but very little green grass..............What do bears eat? I was told that they eat acorns.........................so next time over there we will be checking for sign in oak tree areas. This is all new to me ...................its a learning experiance.

G
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Re: Californina Bear Hunters ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I will be hunting bears in California this fall with my son in and around Quincy Plumas county .........................Does anyone have any experiance hunting this area? I was up there last weekend and it was really dry.............I did see one Sow with cubs but very little green grass..............What do bears eat? I was told that they eat acorns.........................so next time over there we will be checking for sign in oak tree areas. This is all new to me ...................its a learning experiance.

G
I am in the Nor Cal area.

I am hunting black bear this year with a compound bow.

Try the following book.

BLACK BEAR HUNTING

Great read, and super informative!

As a matter of fact, the CA DFG will be having a black bear biology seminar in early January. I believe it will be in the Sonoma area. Sign-up's will be open during the December months. (If memory serves me correctly).

In Christ: Raymond
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

I am familiar with with bears in Los Pardes Nat. forrest.

I cannot recommend the magazine RELENTLESS 365 as it covers alot of bear stuff. Back issues are available online for free.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Raymond

Always good to hear from a brother in Christ...............Where do you live? My son lives outside of Quincy and I live in Reno.........................

G
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Raymond

Always good to hear from a brother in Christ...............Where do you live? My son lives outside of Quincy and I live in Reno.........................

G
Amen!

I live in Millbrae. It is 1 or 2 cities south of San Francisco. Just across the street from the San Francisco Airport.

FYI... There are bears in the Mendocino area, in the Sierras, as well as near the Clear Lake area. Most folks never see them, because they are too lazy to walk 5 miles or more into the mountains or bush. It takes blood sweat and tears to stalk them, and then carry them out if you are successful.

Best way to do it, in my personal opinion, is to pack a tent, a sleeping bag, and enough gear (including food and water) for 3 or 4 days.

It's not about the kill, as much as it is the adventure. I love being out in the bush.

Don't get me wrong, as I am hunting for food and for the hide. But I sure do love the outdoors as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Caleb, my son , lives right next to Plumas National Forest boundry. We have spent a lof to time up in the Mts around his home. Your right, it is brushy, and we both have a lot to learn but we have seen five different bears in the surrounding area. Its really dry this year with few areas with green grass. We thought about looking in the oak trees as we have heard that bears eat acorns. We have been camping in a wall tent for about 30 years ..............we spend most of our camping time in the fall, winter, and Spring. We have a wood stove and it has always been a memorable time. No dought we will be doing a lot of glassing up in and around the rocks.................looking for springs.
I ordered the book you recomended, Thanks.

G
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Cool,

I am sure you will enjoy the book... I did.

Have a safe and enjoyable hunt, and maybe I will see you at the bear biology class in Sonoma.