Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Black Bear self defense handgun/rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Black Bear self defense handgun/rifle

why not a short 12 guage with slugs i dont think you can beat that for fast stopping power
Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone so much for your contributions.

So far it sounds like the 12 gauge slug/44 mag combination is the best, no?

I do not own a shotgun, was wondering if there were any suggestions on models for this.

I also do not own a 44 mag, would be interested in models on that also for this particular case. I don't care whether it is a revolver or not, and I don't know if there are wide differences in recoil.

Also, I was thinking of starting another thread but maybe just here is fine, I am planning on doing some Alaska trips in the next few years, and it makes sense to get one rig for both spots.

What is the deal with a 45/70? I've looked up the energy specs on those and they underperform your 300 mags and stuff. I was researching that as a possible purchase for this but it seems to be less powerful than other options.

And I suppose a 357 mag or 357 sig would be out of the question for an AK grizzly?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 or 450 marlin
What do you like about these?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
30-30 would work, 223 would not. Atleast not very well. your asking the question as if you are looking to make a purchase for this purpose. If that is the case, a 12 guage shotgun is the best bet. If its a sidearm, i would get a 44 magnum. Bears are hard to kill fast and I have carried a 40 and a 45 while bowhunting before but honestly they are far underpowered. Usually I carry a 44 mag, or 500 S&W depening on where i am etc.

It is probably doubtful you will ever encounter a problem, but if you do i agree that you should be prepared. also, follow up shots are not a problem with a 44 mag that has any wieght to it. i have shot the ultra lights and they can be a handful.

good luck.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the concept with the mini 14 was to be able to put 15 shots in him quickly. I don't know if this would make a difference or not.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I really doubt you would have time to put 15 rounds into a problem bear before the bear was a REAL problem!! A bear makes a bad target comeing at you as the bullets tend to slide off thier head or have to go through a lot of bear to hit anything vitel.
A big heavy slug tends to help both problems!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
I really doubt you would have time to put 15 rounds into a problem bear before the bear was a REAL problem!! A bear makes a bad target comeing at you as the bullets tend to slide off thier head or have to go through a lot of bear to hit anything vitel.
A big heavy slug tends to help both problems!
Ok, I'm sold.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outerspace View Post
What do you like about these?

Just guessing but... They have the same velocity of a 30-30 but use 300+ grain 45 cal bullets.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams