Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

bear hunters undergunned ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Miller Outdoors

Re: bear hunters undergunned ?

As an aside - if I were worried about an up close bear situation I'd first reach for my 12 ga. 20" barrel home defense slug gun. That little pump action is faster than any of my rifles and 8 rounds is a nice feeling when you fear for your life. There's something about a slug from short range that just hits sooo hard - stopping a bear just as fast as the .460.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

I have read that the #1 weapon selection that fish and game use on brown bear is a 12 gauge shotgun with ultra heavy knockout medication pills.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

+1 w/winmag and phorwath. IMHO I'd want a minimum 338wm. Having said that shot placement is key, a larger more powerful cartridge isn't a good substitute for a poor shot...the kind that just pisses em off.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

I meant like a front or side or even head shot .what would 8,000 ft lbs of energy do to a big griuzzly?.Also thast 1600 lb bear they shot with the all different rifles 45-70's 375's etc. what would just a few or single 460 heavy round do placed right ?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed. A 12-gauge pump with Brenneke slugs is a proven bear stopper for the in-your-face confrontations. There's something to be said for quick follow-up shots, and I would be pretty darn comfortable with an 18 to 20-inch long barrel on a reliable pump action, with 4 or more additional rounds in the magazine.

So far I've been fortunate and have not gotten between a mother bear and her cubs. Unlike our criminal justice system, there is no presumption of innocence by most mother bears. Their justice system may result in the punishment of a few innocent intruders, but by and large, their inherent presumption of guilt is more often merited than not in the wilds of Alaska.

A nightmare situation would be to stumble upon some cute itsy bitsy brown/grizzly bear cubs without knowing where mama is. My firearm would be brought to bear and I'd probably even have the safety off while backing away from that scenario. I've observed them enough from a distance to know that mother is never far away. And I couldn't think of a better way to threaten her, and piss her off.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460or338 View Post
I meant like a front or side or even head shot .what would 8,000 ft lbs of energy do to a big griuzzly?.Also thast 1600 lb bear they shot with the all different rifles 45-70's 375's etc. what would just a few or single 460 heavy round do placed right ?
Head shots are instant death if the bullet penetrates the skull and damages the brain. Like flipping a light switch on the wall. Same with an elephant if you've ever seen any brain shot elephant video.

A good solid hit to the solar plexus with a quality bullet out of a .460 Weatherby would decommission 95% of bruins. Maybe not be instant death, but they would not be long for this world. Once their adrenaline is pumping, they are more difficult to stop. In my observation, this is also true with most other large game animals. If you hit a bear solid while he's unaware of your presence and the adrenaline is not cruising through the veins & arteries, they do seem to be disabled more readily than when they're scared to death. However, I have stopped even a large adrenaline-charged boar brown bear with a .338 Imperial Mag and a 225 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet with simply a broadside shot through the ribs - just behind the front shoulders. Distance was a comfortable 125 yds. The bear was already wounded and running on high octane blood. He never recovered to pose any threat after that hit.

Last edited by phorwath; 05-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

The big problemb with a head/brain shot on an angry bear is that thier skull is very tapered, like a pigs skull. And actually quite hard. If the bears head were down and it was a bow legged ''bluff charge'' the skull would be easily pennetrated. When a bear is pissed and its commin in to do damage to a supposed threat it usually has its head tipped back and ears pinned and pearly whites showin. This puts the skull at an angle much harder to penetrate. You run the risk of a glancing blow. Much simmilar to the practicality of a helmet. Direct hits penetrate easily, but bullets on an angle tend to glance off. (no bear skulls arent as tough as helmets) but you get the idea. Its all about shot placement, and you may only get 1 shot.
Yes a brain shot would equal lights out. But its a small moving target on an angle. It definately would not be my first choice. If youve ever gutted/skinned a bear youll notice a very scary resemblance to a human anatomy. If I had that much frontal mass heading my way Id launch bullets into center mass under the bottom jaw as close to where I figured the heart was located. Not too low, not too high. If its head were down Id entertain the thought of a brain shot I suppose. I guess it would depend on the senario. But wichever shot presented itself quickest would work.
Having never hunted Brownies myself, Id lean toward taking any advise Phorwath has to give. He lives and plays in Alaska, and has dealt with big brown bears.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"