Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Another Fall Bear Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Another Fall Bear Down

Fall Baiting has Come and gone now but not without sucess. This was the hardest hunt I have had since I started this bait site. I got 150 lbs of feed + another 40lbs of my secret ingredient out a week before the opener along with some scent and a lot of anticipation for the upcoming fall season. My good buddy Brian from www.shoot-long.com (also a site sponsor) was coming up from Utah to see if we could get something hairy killed. Opening day he showed up and we headed up the mountain for the evening hunt. I completely expected it to be a one day hunt because up until this point I had never hunted the bait without seeing a bear. We got up there and it was obvious bears had been there so it was just a matter of when would they be back. Darkness came and no bear. The next day i had to work so I told Brian to go up early with some fresh goodies and scent and maybe we could entice them out that night. He did so and also grabbed the sd card from my camera. Turns out bears had been on it every day consistently at 10 at night and around 2 pm also along with a few early morning visits. The surprising part was that in a week they had time to find the bait and eat almost 200 lbs of feed because the barrel was empty. so That night we went back up and sat till dark and again nothing. so the next day Brian went back up again and poured in about 75 lbs of feed and noted they had been there again the previous night after dark. He decided to just sit on the bait all day and when I got off work I would come up. I got there a little after 5pm. and finally at 5:50 something black and furry was making its way to the bait. we got the video cameras rolling and Brian got behind his 20+lb 375 Cheytac and decided he was going to go ahead and take the bear. It had a perfect coat, jet black with a tan muzzle. as soon as it turned broad side he put the cross hairs on the shoulder and let the 350SMK make the short flight to the bear (175 yards) the bear. the bear had disappeared but we knew it was game over. we went back to the wheelers and drove around to the same side of the Canyon as the bear. Got up there and he had only made it maybe 10 yards and piled up. we got some pics and got it back to the wheelers and headed off the mountain. It was a great time and had some good laughs. I was nervous my spot wasnt going to come through for us but finally one of them co operated. and as a nice little surprise he has a little white patch on his chest.

and the tool used to do the killing... a 36" barreled 375 Cheytac (which is a kick in the pants to shoot BTW)

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Another Fall Bear Down

Sure is some pretty country out your way.... with hairy things runnin' around the woods. Really nice black bear!

Pete

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. -- Aesop
Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Good job AGAIN Mike!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Sure was a lot of fun! Now if I could just figure out how to get the video from my camcorder to the computer....

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."