Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Alaskan Brown Bear hunt + Rain + Wooden Stock = ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

Alaskan Brown Bear hunt + Rain + Wooden Stock = ???

I'm looking at going on a brown bear hunt in Alaska next year. I'm planning on taking the only caliber I own, that I feel 100% confident will do the job; my 30-378 weatherby. The problem is its a custom rifle with a wooden stock. Will this be a problem when I expect it to rain on my most of the time I'm there? Are there any tips or tricks for preparing for this?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Alaskan Brown Bear hunt + Rain + Wooden Stock = ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin Fool View Post
I'm looking at going on a brown bear hunt in Alaska next year. I'm planning on taking the only caliber I own, that I feel 100% confident will do the job; my 30-378 weatherby. The problem is its a custom rifle with a wooden stock. Will this be a problem when I expect it to rain on my most of the time I'm there? Are there any tips or tricks for preparing for this?

Thanks
If it is a laminate you should not have a problem because of the construction and the resins used
to laminate the wood together.

If it is a fancy wood stock just keep/carry it in a waterproof soft case as much as possible, only
removing it during the hunt/shot.

There are some good canvas soft cases with a shoulder strap for carry, and after a good treatment
of scotch guard are very water resistant.

I have done this many times for fine shotguns and terrible conditions in the marshes with no
problems, and it also protected the wood from nicks and bumps.

Have fun.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

I will keep an eye out for one as you described. I do have a wooden, not laminate stock. I was hoping I could simply treat the gun somehow so it would be ready for a quick shot. My only soft case now has a poor handle with no shoulder strap. Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

None of the Weatherby wood stocks I've been around held up well in coastal conditions. If you folks get rain again, take out a canoe, and use the rifle to paddle that will tell you for sure if it's gonna make it. It could be all bluebirds and sunshine, but with the cost of hunts these days, a good synthetic is cheap insurance.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Im assumeing its a Mark V, ANd those dont come cheap. If you think theres gonna be alot of rain I would buy a cheaper, stainless gun before I took out a fancy grade walnut stock.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Why not get a composite or laminate put on for this trip? Then you would have a tuff stock for those nasty weather hunts and hunts that would beat up the nice stock.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJAY View Post
Why not get a composite or laminate put on for this trip? Then you would have a tuff stock for those nasty weather hunts and hunts that would beat up the nice stock.
+1

It rained for three days on my black bear hunt in Quebec. In one of the downpours the rifle got completely soaked. There was a puddle under it where I hung it in the cabin.

Thank God for fiberglass stocks.

Jerry