Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Alaska Hunting areas for black bear by roads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Alaska Hunting areas for black bear by roads

So it started out as a family vacation, but what is a vacation without a little hunting anyway? I will be picking up an RV in Anchorage and do as much site seeing as possible but will also want to try and do as much spring bear calling as possible too. Any tips on locations to try or avoid would be appreciated. I will be mostly limited to RV access areas and then venture out on foot for a few hours at a time. I may try to rent a skiff for a few days if the opportunity comes up, or even rent a small 4X4. Dates will be late May to mid June, I glass everywhere I go and this trip will be no different but I will want ot do some calling for sure.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Alaska Hunting areas for black bear by roads

I don't have info for ya. But I did get a chuckle from your post. My wife wants me to drive our RV to Yellowstone for family vacation. I instantly started trying recalling dates for pronghorn hunting. Then laid the old "well... if we were to go in Sept it might not be as busy and could squeeze alittle hunting in???" She was open to idea but did comment, "does everything have to do with hunting?" DUH, yeah.

Good luck with your trip and keep us posted,
Gene
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene R. View Post
She was open to idea but did comment, "does everything have to do with hunting?" DUH, yeah.
double DUH. My wife says the same thing.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Good choice on how to see Alaska.

Cordova Ak which must be accessed via Hydrofoil ferry ( Fast) or Airplane is easily one if not the best black bear hunting in the State without a guide.

Eyak River Hideaway

I have been up and down the Eyak river a hundred times and the bear population is excellant on the nearby mountain. Powerline road which runs past lake Eyak has a trail at its end. Brown and black bear abound. The Char will be in powerline creek as well I believe.

There is one road which runs fifty miles out of Cordova and stops do to the 64 earthquake One can camp near the million dollar bridge and watch the glacier calve into the copper river. There are bear all over this area on both sides of the river.

absolutely gorgeous!
Neal