Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

338win mag brown bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338win mag brown bear

The thing with the 338 RUM is you don't HAVE to use all the speed that it can make. But, if you need it its available. You can load it down or load it hot. .
I've shot quite a few 300 gr bullets out of the Win mag. 2550 is the absolute MAXIMUM that I could get and I had around 100 fps variation shot to shot. Not good for long range trajectory.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmuaythai View Post
Concur! But I'd add that very good bullet is also a prime requisite. Nosler PT is my preference. I'ven't shot many browns, just one 8'3" in the peninsular with a 30-06, griz in Yukon that got my guide Rick Furniss his silver buckle with a 270, and a Russian griz 8'10"with a 300win plus a NWT polar just over 9' with 300win. BTW I always hunt bear with guide. He can carry the cannon.
Sportmuaythai knows what he is talking about, I was there when he shot the huge book Yukon Grizzly with .270 130 grain Nosler Partition, 58 grains 4831. Sleeping, 150 yards, quartering to us, one shot in the base of the neck, bear never moved. As Sport says, it is all about bullet placement. He was backed up with .338 Win Mag, 210 gr. Nosler Partition 75 gr. 4831, but when you back up a man of Sport's caliber, no need to back-up. I only use Nosler Partitions, have for over 40 years, shot everything in North America with them, never had one fail, always perfect results. Still using bullet stock I bought when I was in University! The only thing that has changed is the price. I only use the 2 calibers & loads above. Keep it simple, know your rifle and load, shoot accurately, place it where it will kill or don't shoot. And I did get the silver belt buckle for the bear!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outfitter View Post
Sportmuaythai knows what he is talking about, I was there when he shot the huge book Yukon Grizzly with .270 130 grain Nosler Partition, 58 grains 4831. Sleeping, 150 yards, quartering to us, one shot in the base of the neck, bear never moved. As Sport says, it is all about bullet placement. He was backed up with .338 Win Mag, 210 gr. Nosler Partition 75 gr. 4831, but when you back up a man of Sport's caliber, no need to back-up. I only use Nosler Partitions, have for over 40 years, shot everything in North America with them, never had one fail, always perfect results. Still using bullet stock I bought when I was in University! The only thing that has changed is the price. I only use the 2 calibers & loads above. Keep it simple, know your rifle and load, shoot accurately, place it where it will kill or don't shoot. And I did get the silver belt buckle for the bear!
Hello Rick, how do you do?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

Dad shot an 8.5' Grizz one shot, same one shot placement as SMT. Although it was at 30 yards from a canoe going for meat (moose that is), go figure. Shot placement is key, and as a guide; I will take marksmanship over caliber any day.

Reuben
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the great info guys. You mentioned the 375 and 416. I was thinking about the 375 so I may get that and start practicing. Again thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outfitter View Post
BTW I hunted with Outfitter three times. First was a good moose with his guide. Then a very fine dall and the griz with the Outfitter himself. Highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox0311 View Post
Thanks for all the great info guys. You mentioned the 375 and 416. I was thinking about the 375 so I may get that and start practicing. Again thanks
The 375 H&H is also a great caliber for the large bears! The 416 really has a kick to it, but may be more than you need. I shoot them both and like the 375 for the low recoil, it allows me to be more accurate. Just my two cents.