Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

338win mag brown bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: 338win mag brown bear

I hunt mostly Moose, Deer and Black Bear, but I've had no problem taking down large Grizzly's in BC Canada and the Yukon Territory with my Browning A Bolt 2 Hunter in a .300 WSM! To me its the all round rifle, which I am confident in taking down any game in North America. Shot placement is much more important than using a canon in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

At 20' and 40 miles an hour, precise shot placement is a myth.

The 338 is a great hunters rifle. but for a guides rifle the needs are different
A 300 works as good as an 06 only 150 yards further away. The 338 with its wider generally heavier bullet tends to hold a bear down longer than any of the 30 s.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 PM

I have to agree with cold trigger, a large dangerous animal heading at u fast with bad intentions is hard to deal with. In fact the close shoot out I was in on was in a alder thicket at 13 yards. There were 3 bullets that went thru a tree as thick as my forearm then into the bear. That bear was NOT charging. We shot it before it could get under way at us.
When shooting said beast at close quarters, do you want a 25-06 or a 375+ gun???? A 25-06 will kill the bear with a good bullet in the nose, but the honest truth is, I don't shoot that well under pressure
At a distance a 300 is fine with good bullets. A guide usually is trying to manage a bad situation so needs a heavy rifle with good penetration so he can kill a bear coming or going.
This thread started about 338 win, I think they are a great overall hunting rifle and an adequate or better backup bear rifle. I have one and use it. (Not for brown bears) But I never look at those big boars on the ground and wish I had used a smaller rifle.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

I never thot about it that way. But that's a real good point.

I wouldn't have any trouble killing a trophy bear with a 223 with a 53 gr. TSX. But. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else. If I could only have 1 rifle for all hunting in Alaska, it would be a 416 .
But I've shot 416's a lot and I shoot them well.
First time I got charged by a brown bear I dumped it with a 416 Taylor 325 gr X bullet @2600 fps 1 shot at around 20 yards, chest shot = instant on the ground dead bear. No fancy spine shot needed like would have been necessary with a 30 Cal. Killed a bunch more since with 416s and the 458 .shooting bears with them is like being a sniper in a way. 1 shot, 1 kill.

I should avoid these bear threads. I always get riled up.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 AM

416 Taylor is a fine cartridge. A nice balance of power and shootability.
I know what u mean about the bear threads. ;)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM

As far as rifles are concerned take a look at Winchesters Extreme Weather Stainless. That Model 70 action is as slick as anything made and it comes in the calibers that you're interested in. I've never shot a brown bear but did use the 338 in Africa on large antelope around 800 pounds. It hits hard, definitely gets their attention.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvstoro View Post
I hunt mostly Moose, Deer and Black Bear, but I've had no problem taking down large Grizzly's in BC Canada and the Yukon Territory with my Browning A Bolt 2 Hunter in a .300 WSM! To me its the all round rifle, which I am confident in taking down any game in North America. Shot placement is much more important than using a canon in my opinion.
Concur! But I'd add that very good bullet is also a prime requisite. Nosler PT is my preference. I'ven't shot many browns, just one 8'3" in the peninsular with a 30-06, griz in Yukon that got my guide Rick Furniss his silver buckle with a 270, and a Russian griz 8'10"with a 300win plus a NWT polar just over 9' with 300win. BTW I always hunt bear with guide. He can carry the cannon.