Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

.338 WM too much for Black Bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: .338 WM too much for Black Bear?

The 338 sounds like the best thing you've got for bears.

As others have said, the .280 will work. However, the .338 will do exactly what the .280 will do, only better. I shoot blackies with a 375 because I want the best possible opportunity for a DRT. If they have the opportunity to run, they can disappear quickly. Plus, I want the added firepower for the brown bear encounters.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Bronze Member

No such thing as too dead. The .338 is a great choice! If you hand load, the 185 grain TSX is flat shooting, light recoiling and is devastating on big game. For factory ammo, if it shoots well in your rifle, the 225 grain AB offering from Federal is tough to beat. Take that .338 and have a great hunt!

Wby
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I completely agree with the overwhelming opinion, use the .338
Although, as many have stated, both will get the job done, I'm still thoroughly convinced that there is NEVER such thing as "over-guned" and you need to draw some blood with that baby.
One of my good hunting buddies whacked a bear we spotted with a .338 & 225gr Accubonds four years ago. One shot kill. Devastating bullet performance. The bear never took a step, just boom-flop.
I've taken bears with 30 CAL, & 270 CAL rifles, & 44 Mag pistol. All worked just fine, but I wouldn't hesitate to use my .338. Great round.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Not too much. A good bear caliber, use preferably bonded bullets.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

The .338 is a great cartridge! Why not use it?

A Washington bear hunt last fall was a great excuse for me to use my .375 H&H Number One, with a handloaded 260 gr Nosler Accubond. One shot at just over 300 yards and the bear was down for good. Nothing wrong with using a heavier cartridge than necessary.

Guy
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

I do have a helpful concern. It's practice, having a good comfortable relationship with rifle and cartridge. Although a .338 WM does not have much recoil to those that shoot larger cartridges. They can be a poor choice for those who are not more than comfortable with them. An easy way to tell is to have a friend load and hand you the rifle and without telling you when, have him hand you an empty chamber. Have him watch, the barrel should not move during or after the trigger is pulled. If the barrel moves, it is a clear indication that the recoil is being anticipated way too much and that more familiarity is required before hunting with that cartridge. I honestly feel that a person should be efficient with a cartridge and recoil substantially greater than what he chooses to hunt with
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
I do have a helpful concern. It's practice, having a good comfortable relationship with rifle and cartridge. Although a .338 WM does not have much recoil to those that shoot larger cartridges. They can be a poor choice for those who are not more than comfortable with them. An easy way to tell is to have a friend load and hand you the rifle and without telling you when, have him hand you an empty chamber. Have him watch, the barrel should not move during or after the trigger is pulled. If the barrel moves, it is a clear indication that the recoil is being anticipated way too much and that more familiarity is required before hunting with that cartridge. I honestly feel that a person should be efficient with a cartridge and recoil substantially greater than what he chooses to hunt with
You bring up a valid point. Good comment.
If- you can shoot well with it, & are well practiced with your .338, its a great opportunity to use it on your bear hunt. But consider the flip side. You darn sure don't want to miss the trophy of a lifetime due to a flinch or something.
Don't get me wrong, I've messaged back and forth with you over the last couple years, and I have no doubt in your shooting ability. So if I may, my comment is not directed at you specifically, but more as a general statement for other folks who may be in a similar situation and may be reading your thread as well.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"