Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

338 solids for bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

338 solids for bears

Have a newly built .338 Edge for big game hunting and long range fun. I was considering NOT using the typical round nose sytle solids but using a better ballistic coeffiecent bullet like the Lehigh/Boretech 245gr Solid.

Or should I just stay with the 300gr SMK that the gun is setup for anyways?

thanks for any help

Mike
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 solids for bears

Stay with the 300SMK.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Have a newly built .338 Edge for big game hunting and long range fun. I was considering NOT using the typical round nose sytle solids but using a better ballistic coeffiecent bullet like the Lehigh/Boretech 245gr Solid.

Or should I just stay with the 300gr SMK that the gun is setup for anyways?

thanks for any help

Mike
Bears are not thick skin-ed but are tough to kill so I would recommend a bonded core bullet
like the Accubond so it would expand and transfer more energy to the game.

I would use something in the 225 to 250grain range.

Solids are made for extremely tough skin-ed game that tend to stop regular hunting bullets
and they will penetrate much deeper (4 to 6 feet ) before spending all of there energy, and
on thin skin-ed animals they will pass through without expending very much energy and
may not drop him .

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

I shot a 225 lb. black at 445 yds with the 300SMK this year through the vitals and blew out the offside shoulder. Acted just like it did in elk and deer--dropped immediately. That's probably a bit bigger than the average blackie--she was well fed--and the bone structure no where near as big as an elk. Vast majority of elk are much bigger than a black bear and the 300SMK works just fine for that. I've had the 300SMK take out the big leg bone on the way into a bull elks vitals this year, thrash the vitals and still demolish the offside shoulder--immediate drop from 430 something. JMHO, but unless you are hunting grizzlies or brown bears close up, I think the 300SMK will handle north american bears just fine.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the input guys.I didn't think the bear family of animals was considered thick skinned but hoped to find some feedback. I think i'll stick with the 300smk. Maybe when I build my african rifle in .375 Cheytac,then it will be a solid shooting thick skinned game killer.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 AM

did you consider the 250gr swift A-frame,?? its hard to beat up here in alaska on bears ,,, or moose
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
thanks for the input guys.I didn't think the bear family of animals was considered thick skinned but hoped to find some feedback. I think i'll stick with the 300smk. Maybe when I build my african rifle in .375 Cheytac,then it will be a solid shooting thick skinned game killer.
The problem with any match bullet is the consistency on game . there is no doubt they will hit
there mark but shot to shot on game the results vary to much for me because you can't always
have the perfect broad side shot and that is where the match kings do OK.

Also long range shots where the 300gr MKs shine are far and few between when hunting moose
and bears. so that's why I recommended the 250 bullets like the Accubond and as aauya
recommended the Swift A Frame or the Partition.

J E CUSTOM