close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Reply

.308 load for MN black bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montgomery TX
Posts: 280
Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
.308 Winchester.... 180gr Super-X Power Point muzzle velocity at 2620fps the energy is about 2743ft-lbs.This is a great hunting bullet for average size bear. Very accurate in a good hand load.. or heck don't have time buy a box of factory.
436
I use the Sierra SPBT 150 gr. bullet with 3031 and its fine for me, on coyotes hogs, lions or whatever When I go after something big like bears , I use 168 gr, but it really doesn't matter what bullet you got, its where you place the shot, and "if" the bullet goes off too. I seen this happen before (back in the 60's) in the north country when temperatures were below zero, and just a click>>> when my partner (reloads) pulled the trigger on a pack of wolves.
We laughed about it afterwards but let me tell you, it was cold that morning. He put the round on a stump and when the sun came up it shined right on that stump where that bullet sat. After about 20 minutes in the sun,,, it went Kaboom!!! That's how cold it was there.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM
    436 436 is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: NorthWest
    Posts: 648
    Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
    I use the Sierra SPBT 150 gr. bullet with 3031 and its fine for me, on coyotes hogs, lions or whatever When I go after something big like bears , I use 168 gr, but it really doesn't matter what bullet you got, its where you place the shot, and "if" the bullet goes off too. I seen this happen before (back in the 60's) in the north country when temperatures were below zero, and just a click>>> when my partner (reloads) pulled the trigger on a pack of wolves.
    We laughed about it afterwards but let me tell you, it was cold that morning. He put the round on a stump and when the sun came up it shined right on that stump where that bullet sat. After about 20 minutes in the sun,,, it went Kaboom!!! That's how cold it was there
    .....

    Well my friend'..., that's pretty damn cold, when you have a firing pin strike on a cartridge primer... that didn't go off, and later; when setting in the sunshine on a stump it goes off!... Yep'.., I don't think this city boy has ever heard of that one before. As I said; roll your own or buy a box of factory with the same 180gr WW PP's.. either way they work great.

    436

    PS: You weren't hunting up hill in both directions that day were you? Nah.. stupid question, never mind.
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Location: Montgomery TX
    Posts: 280
    Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 436 View Post
    Well my friend'..., that's pretty damn cold, when you have a firing pin strike on a cartridge primer... that didn't go off, and later; when setting in the sunshine on a stump it goes off!... Yep'.., I don't think this city boy has ever heard of that one before. As I said; roll your own or buy a box of factory with the same 180gr WW PP's.. either way they work great.

    436

    PS: You weren't hunting up hill in both directions that day were you? Nah.. stupid question, never mind.
    Matter of fact I think we were LMAO ! I got another story too, about a buck I shot, but getting ready to leave right now for a hog hunt... Later dude LOL
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
    436 436 is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: NorthWest
    Posts: 648
    Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
    Matter of fact I think we were LMAO ! I got another story too, about a buck I shot, but getting ready to leave right now for a hog hunt... Later dude LOL

    Love to hear the deer hunt story sometime.... Good luck on your hog hunt, watch out for the ones that fly.... LOL
    436
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: east Iron Range, Minnesota
    Posts: 801
    Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

    Thanks for the input guys. as of now, I'm planning to put off making a bear load till summer, and work on my deer/target load for now, to build up some experience. The factory ammo route hasn't been ruled out, But with the hand loading bug having bitten, it's very tempting to make my own bear round
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: .308 load for MN black bear?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    PA Black Bear Kevin Cram Trophy Photos 8 01-17-2013 10:24 PM
    Need a BIG black bear? Michael Eichele Swap A Hunt 13 11-15-2011 03:53 PM
    13 yr old after N.C. black bear DCGS Bear Hunting 5 11-14-2011 07:44 PM
    black bear? Troutslayer Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 12-21-2009 07:35 AM
    7 MM for Black Bear Tim Behle Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 09-19-2002 11:55 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC