Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

.308 load for MN black bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: .308 load for MN black bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
.308 Winchester.... 180gr Super-X Power Point muzzle velocity at 2620fps the energy is about 2743ft-lbs.This is a great hunting bullet for average size bear. Very accurate in a good hand load.. or heck don't have time buy a box of factory.
I use the Sierra SPBT 150 gr. bullet with 3031 and its fine for me, on coyotes hogs, lions or whatever When I go after something big like bears , I use 168 gr, but it really doesn't matter what bullet you got, its where you place the shot, and "if" the bullet goes off too. I seen this happen before (back in the 60's) in the north country when temperatures were below zero, and just a click>>> when my partner (reloads) pulled the trigger on a pack of wolves.
We laughed about it afterwards but let me tell you, it was cold that morning. He put the round on a stump and when the sun came up it shined right on that stump where that bullet sat. After about 20 minutes in the sun,,, it went Kaboom!!! That's how cold it was there.....
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
I use the Sierra SPBT 150 gr. bullet with 3031 and its fine for me, on coyotes hogs, lions or whatever When I go after something big like bears , I use 168 gr, but it really doesn't matter what bullet you got, its where you place the shot, and "if" the bullet goes off too. I seen this happen before (back in the 60's) in the north country when temperatures were below zero, and just a click>>> when my partner (reloads) pulled the trigger on a pack of wolves.
We laughed about it afterwards but let me tell you, it was cold that morning. He put the round on a stump and when the sun came up it shined right on that stump where that bullet sat. After about 20 minutes in the sun,,, it went Kaboom!!! That's how cold it was there

Well my friend'..., that's pretty damn cold, when you have a firing pin strike on a cartridge primer... that didn't go off, and later; when setting in the sunshine on a stump it goes off!... Yep'.., I don't think this city boy has ever heard of that one before. As I said; roll your own or buy a box of factory with the same 180gr WW PP's.. either way they work great.

PS: You weren't hunting up hill in both directions that day were you? Nah.. stupid question, never mind.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
Well my friend'..., that's pretty damn cold, when you have a firing pin strike on a cartridge primer... that didn't go off, and later; when setting in the sunshine on a stump it goes off!... Yep'.., I don't think this city boy has ever heard of that one before. As I said; roll your own or buy a box of factory with the same 180gr WW PP's.. either way they work great.

PS: You weren't hunting up hill in both directions that day were you? Nah.. stupid question, never mind.
Matter of fact I think we were LMAO ! I got another story too, about a buck I shot, but getting ready to leave right now for a hog hunt... Later dude LOL
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
Matter of fact I think we were LMAO ! I got another story too, about a buck I shot, but getting ready to leave right now for a hog hunt... Later dude LOL

Love to hear the deer hunt story sometime.... Good luck on your hog hunt, watch out for the ones that fly.... LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the input guys. as of now, I'm planning to put off making a bear load till summer, and work on my deer/target load for now, to build up some experience. The factory ammo route hasn't been ruled out, But with the hand loading bug having bitten, it's very tempting to make my own bear round