Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Wyoming Max elk points. unit 62?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Wyoming Max elk points. unit 62?

I,m from montana and thinking of using points this year.I have heard good things about 62 as a good self guided unit for a nice bull. No horses, so it would be on foot. Any feedback before I use this possible once in a lifetime opportunity of the max points pool or other suggestions. I would happily do an info swap on a montana hunt.

Thankyou, Mike
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wyoming Max elk points. unit 62?

Max points this year is 7, correct? 62 is a good area but I would think long and hard before using all those points on it / any area. You have a lot of options. If you're tired of waiting to hunt in Wyoming, I think you could draw it pretty easily and have really good hunt. But, if you applied elsewhere in one of the more 'prestigious' areas you may have a real good chance at a whopper with less hunting pressure. But, that may take another year or two to draw. Not saying you couldn't drop a big one in 62, just saying there are several great places to hunt with 7 years worth of points.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM

magnumitis,

Thanks for the reply.It looks like the top("prestigious") areas could still take years to draw-around 5% odds last yr with max points. Area 7 and 62 looked like some of the tops for having a good chance drawing but I really dont want to deal with private land if possible. If it were you and you were ready to draw which unit would you look at.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Sounds fair to me...I can offer decent info on DIY but not in 62. Pm me if interested.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM

It is a very good unit with a good chance at a good bull. I usally apply for unit 61 which is more wilderness area. Wilderness areas require a guide or resident. Unit 62 is more front country with more National Forest less wilderness. I dont know if you have ever seen this country but is very rugged so if you are a foot you need to be in great shape or you will suffer!!! I lived and hunted Montana and the Bob was about as rugged as I hunted but is nothing compared to the country down here. When I go to Bozeman to guide in the Galatin its like walking flat country. LOL Bears are a big problem in this area also more so than Montana. I guide unit 61 and almost every bull we shot in the evening was messed with by morning. Two bears got killed opening week. I would stay away from opening week you will have a much better hunt latter. We see hardly anyone after the first week. I would do the 3rd week. I have few friends who pick this unit and they have shot some dandy bulls. You will not be disapointed I have never seen hunting of this quality up in MT.
Scott
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Sent you a PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 AM

PM'd you back.