Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Wyoming Elk and Deer hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wyoming Elk and Deer hunt

The hunt was a good hunt just poorly ran and managed. The guides looked like he hired bumbs off the street. Between hunts the guides slept in Jays garage. They did not have a lot of hunting experience. One group of hunters got lost and spent the night in the woods. Our group killed elk after we took charge and did a spot and stalk hunt instead of sitting on ground blinds and hoping something would walk by. I agree on a hunt you get what you pay for size of trophy you take home. There is no excuse for a poorly managed outfit. I would not of cared if our group came home with nothing that's hunting. Its about being safe having fun with the guys going on an adventure of a life time.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

You need to get ahold of the Wyoming Outfitters Board and make sure all of your hunters lodge a complaint against Open Ck. They may not do much this time around, but if other complaints come in, they will may take some action. You might be saving some of your fellow hunters a bunch of hard earned cash down the road. There are some good outfitters in the Thorofare...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Your right there are a bunch of good outfitters in the the throfare had a great experience with Wyoming expeditions
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Sorry was out hunting whitetails. Double Y talks the right talk. I asked what I thought were the right questions. It is not what I would call a elk hunt. All we did for 7 days is ride horses in the morning in the dark and ride back to camp in the dark. During the day we sat on the side of canyons hopping a elk would come out. I pay an outfitter for opportunities we had none. Out of 7 people in camp one person saw some elk and actually shot one. There were people in camp that had deer and elk tags, like us but no deer. The trails we rode on in the dark were unbelievable, very steep and rugged. My so called elk hunt, was more like a see if you dare to ride horses up this trail. We were told that we rarely see other hunters because camp is 10 miles in. I bet I seen 50 to 60 other hunters on horse back, tents all over the place. You get what you pay for
Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Your wasting money booking a deer hunt in the Thorofare unless you're hunting the last week of the season. Deer densities in the Thorofare are low. They're usually tough to find unless weather has them migrating. An outfitter who doesn't share this kind of info when you're talking about booking a hunt is someone I would avoid. Look at the various outfitters websites who work up there. You'll usually see very few deer pics and the ones they do have are just average bucks for a lot of areas in Wyoming.