Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Wyoming 59?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Wyoming 59?

Well it's that time of year. Time to apply. I've been looking at area 59 late. I will hire a guide. What do you think? Waste of max points? Good use of max points? I know even with max points I'm not ensured a tag but if I did draw do you think it'd be a good way to burn my points?

Recommend an outfitter?

Looking for a great bull or even a really good bull.

Thanks,

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wyoming 59?

I might suggest a different way to do this. FIRST pick the guide and then ask him where to apply to get the biggest bull he will guide a hunter to this year. Just a thought. Good luck. Bruce
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

That's a very good thought. Do you know any trustworthy guides that hunt in units that have a good gene pool?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Give bill perry a call at Hidden Creek Outfitters.
I hunted with him twice last year and was very pleased with his outfit. Five hunters in camp tagged out on 6 x 6's and one guide with a 6 x 7.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I hunted in 59 general season in 2011 and am booked again for this year pending on drawing gen. tag second choice again. I am 2 pp short of max but am hoping to someday get there so as to draw the 59 late. It is a great place for an opportunity at a big one but the griz are extremely thick.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

If you're wanting to hunt sooner than later, I'd guess 61 is easier to draw than 59 with max points. Bob Sundeen outfits 61 and they take some smoker bulls every year. If you're intent on 59, Justin Jarrett at Wapiti Ridge Outfitters is the guy to go with. Spend some time on their sites and I'm sure you'll be impressed. As for Bill Perry, he's a nice guy and they shoot some good bulls, but 60 isn't even in the same league as 59 or 61.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

You might visit with John Porter of Mourning Creek Outfitters.. I sheep hunted with him in 2012 and saw elk almost every day. He claimed they average 350 on their bull elk. Saw 1 griz in 10 days. They are present, but can be worked around. He puts up a very nice camp about 10 miles back in. Bruce