Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

WY Tag Apps Due 1-31

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WY Tag Apps Due 1-31

QUOTE=esshup; We've accumulated a point for every year that they've been available, so I assume that when we decide to go we should have a very good chance of getting what we put in for.

did you look at how many applied for elk with 2 pref points in your area and how many tags they gave out?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Dave,

I only have one point for elk and put in this season for elk special in general area but I'm being led to believe (by G&F and guide) its almost a sure thing. I only put in for elk this year cause I don't have faith in drawing deer with only one pref point and I really want to hunt.

Sounds crazy but if I don't draw I'll almost be relieved cause I have my heart set on a big mulie!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Somewhere on their F&G website there is a page that you can check to see how many points are needed for a certain area (% of people drawn with X number of points). That might help fine-tune your search. I hear that in Co. you can still buy elk tags over the counter. My buddy and I are putting in for Mule Deer in Co for 2nd season. If either of us draws, the other one can buy an elk tag and we can still hunt together. (we can't apply as a "party" like we can in Wy.).

A little bit closer to home is Kentucky. I hear that they are increasing the number of tags from 800 to 1,000 or 1,100 for 2009.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Not many people are aware that there is a drawing in PA each year for 40 or so elk tags. Last year i believe it was 24 people who drew had 5 points. I've got 4 so far. There are big animals there too. Non-residents have the same chance of drawing as residents and a mere $10 gets you in the draw. Well the cats out of the bag.....there goes my odds!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

7mm, do you mean to tell me you applied for a special license ($1100) for a general tag? i didn't think anyone did that. so far, everyone that had 1 point has drawn a tag. roughly 14% are left for some without any points. yes, you'll get a tag.

you can look up the no. of people that apply and the no. of tags that have been given out in all areas for the last 4 years. my odds last year were 78 to 1 in the area my buddy has a cabin. that's why i'm going for a general tag.

i live in Pa and have never applied for an elk license. you're right, the elk up here are every bit as big as out west. there were 4 bulls where i was deer hunting this past year. 1 small 6x6. two 6x6's that were mid 300's, and a 7x8 that was a 400" monster. i forget how many thousand apply for those 40 tags. if you get drawn, i'll show you where they were last fall.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Dave,

If or when I draw I'll certainly pick your brains about some spots, why not.

In a hunting mag at home somewhere I saw the #7 world record, a god awful beast taken in the last couple of years, where....in PA.

In my conversation with G&F they felt that last year with 1 point I would have drawn without the special. However in light of the fact that this year there are applicants going into the draw with a third point versus my one, the special would be the way to go.

Be advised this theory will allow me to sleep at night believing I didn't pee away some hard earned rapazoolas!