LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

WY Tag Apps Due 1-31

Don't forget if you are applying for elk in WY
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WY Tag Apps Due 1-31

i've applied 3 years in a row for an area my buddy has a cabin right against some of the best elk hunting in Wyoming. only problem is they only give 2 tags and 150 applied last year with 2 pref points. i just put in for general this year. would just as soon go elk hunting before i die.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I hunted antelope in WY last year and bought 1 elk and 1 deer point. I put in for the elk special for gen area for the Feb. draw. G&F as well as my outfitter say my chances are in the 90 percentile for non-res. But I just looked at my points in the WY g&f website and the elk point didn't show up! So I'll have to call Mon. and maybe fax my receipt. It should'nt be a problem. My outfitter says he saw so many big bulls walk last year, it shouldn't be too hard to find a bull in the mid 300s. Good luck to you.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
i've applied 3 years in a row for an area my buddy has a cabin right against some of the best elk hunting in Wyoming. only problem is they only give 2 tags and 150 applied last year with 2 pref points. i just put in for general this year. would just as soon go elk hunting before i die.
Dave:

If you were to put in for that area as first choice, and the general as 2nd choice, and you didn't get your first choice pick, you would get the perferance point even if you pulled the general tag as your 2nd choice.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

i'm not sure you're right about that. my understanding is when you get a tag, you loose your pref points. the problem is when you put in for a limited draw and don't get drawn, the general tags are pretty much gone in the first round also. so even if you have a general for 2nd choice, you won't get drawn if there's none available.

i'm not applying in those limited draws any more. it's just a rip off. if things go the same, i could apply for another 50 years and not get drawn.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

From the 2008 F&G Book:

"The preference point system is designed to award a point for each unsuccessful draw attempt in a hard-to-draw area for individuals who elect the preference point option and remit the additional preference point fees, yet not penalize those who wish to list an easier to draw area on their second or third choice. If a person draws on the second or third choice when electing the preference point option, a preference point will be awarded even tho a license is issued. If the person is successful in drawing his or her first choice, then all preference points are deleted but the preference point fee paid for that year is refunded. DRAWING A SECOND OR THIRD CHOICE DOES NOT CAUSE PREFERENCE POINTS TO BE DELETED." Their bold print, not mine.

I burned my mule deer and antelope preference points last year in a general area, but am still accumulating the elk points. We thought about going this year, but with the economy, we are just going to purchase points. We've accumulated a point for every year that they've been available, so I assume that when we decide to go we should have a very good chance of getting what we put in for.

If you skip a year in applying for points, your points won't be lost, but you can't skip 2 years in a row.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

thanks for posting. i learned something. knowing that i don't think i'd do it any differently. i want to go elk hunting and if i put in for a limited draw and a general for second, i'll probably never get to go hunting elk in my lifetime.