Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Are wolves really the problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are wolves really the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehuntr View Post
Are wolves really killing all the elk, moose and deer?
Here are the stats from Montana FWP...

Northern Yellowstone elk population continues to drop

The Northern Yellowstone Herd population is down to 3900 form 19,000 since the wolves were introduced. Thats' an 80% drop.

You tell me.....

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Not to sure what exact areas of the country ya'll are talking about but I think around WY and north into montana and surrounding areas the Wolves are doing there fair share in killing off wildlife. Here's a article about what some of our very well know Elk foundations are doing for wolf managment. I think theres something to be said when RMEF thinks we need to keep a eye on the wolves in these surrounding areas.

RMEF Grant to Help Wolf Management in Wyoming
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

From what i gather, poachers/ native americans are killing all the elk and game and fish can't do anything about it. people don't think twice about poaching since the fines are minimal at best. I don't see how placing someone on probation for a few years will do anything since they broke the law in the fist place. the native americans can do whatever they want when it comes to elk and salmon fishing.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Native Americans had no part in this. It was blood thirsty killers, killing for sport not food.

Wolves cause death of 176 sheep near Fogg Hill; Forest Service says stay out of area - Teton Valley News: News

Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehuntr View Post
From what i gather, poachers/ native americans are killing all the elk and game and fish can't do anything about it. people don't think twice about poaching since the fines are minimal at best. I don't see how placing someone on probation for a few years will do anything since they broke the law in the fist place. the native americans can do whatever they want when it comes to elk and salmon fishing.
You gather wrong. There has always been poaching and Native Americans usually hunt on the reservations and police themselves and have very little affect on the general elk populations. Fines along with loosing hunting privileges can be quite severe here in Montana for poachers and sometimes jail time.

Anyone who doesn't think wolves are responsible for drastically declining game populations here in the lower 48 has a severe case of denial.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

In my part of the state we had record high numbers of elk and whitetail deer for years before wolves. The F and G were even giving out lots of B elk tags. Bears, Lions , Poachers and Coyotes were also at record numbers and the Elk Herds expanded almost every year. Mule Deer numbers seemed to be in decline long before that and the Moose were holding steady. What changed. Nothing but the introduction of Wolves. Moose are almost extinct now. Complete local Elk populations are wiped out. Complete gene pools gone. As far as I am conserned the RMEF was part of the problem also. They work closely with the F and G and never made a public statement against wolves till 6 or 7 years after they were turned loose. This was years after the reports of the Gardner Herd being wiped out. They definely did not stand up for their members. I spent 100 days a year Lion hunting and watched the expansion of the wolves through their tracks in the snow. I would watch the Local TV News and some dim whit would be saying the F and G estimates there are 9 packs of wolves in Montana now... What a crock when I knew for sure there was 10-12 packs between here and Wisdom. Its a shame but I think the hay days of good game populations are behind us. dgarrett
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

the killing of the 176 by 2 wolves is bs, not possible for 2 wolves to kill that many sheep and pile them up. they may have spooked them and they ran off that cliff where the pictures shows them dead.
Im sure wolves kill their share but it is also the poachers/native americans killing trophy bulls as well as the spikes before they can bread that are doing in the population. without a mature population to bread you will have less calves in the future. just like the guys that go crabbing in wa. they take the crabs that are not legal as females that they are not suppose to catch and they over fish/crab areas. with poaching on the rise as well as NA tribs going out and killing bulls for ritual purposes hurts the over all numbers since gf cannot track that. If you want the herds to improve need to do something about the poachers. if you break the law once you will break it again. if poachers lost everything, trucks, guns, atv's, campers you name it then it might stop. the youtube vids where gf set up the fake deer and elk shows just how worthless the fines are. NA tribes in wa, nm are right next to the national forests and they chase the big game onto the reservations.