Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Are wolves really the problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

Are wolves really the problem

Are wolves really killing all the elk, moose and deer?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Are wolves really the problem

They are for sure killing their share. Then couple that with bears taking fawns and big cats taking lots of deer and elk too. The real answer is the elk herd is shrinking and the predator numbers are growing. Wolf numbers here are growing pretty rapidly in my opinion from what I see in my back yard.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Hunters need to correct that problem- when opportunity arises!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

thats what i was going to say, if you see a predator or 2 or 3 just shoot them. the reverse problem exists in new mexico with the oryx gemsbok. it was growing out of control and no predators to maintain them so the nm increased the hunting. game and fish sit on their ass and dont do edition for the most part even when you report a time and location of a problem.
if i see preds ill be shooting them.

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-19-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Language
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Silver Member

We have same issue in my home state with bears and coyotes. Deer population terrible. Coyotes are really tough to kill. Bears on the other hand are relatively easy to see.
If a person didn't know better, you would think the president was running our DNR department.
The day is coming when your families survival is going to depend on living off the land. See how much protection these predators receive from those tree huggers then.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

The real problem is the wolves in government, and the sheeple that keep electing them, and allowing them to be exempt from the laws they inflict on the rest of us.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

I think that wolves have had a significant impact in a number of areas. Take a look at Western Wy and their moose pop. 25 years ago the F@G was issuing 50 to over 100 antlered bull moose permits in most of the hunt units around Jackson Hole. This year not a unit with over 30 in the state. Surveys a couple of years ago showed less than 10 calves per 100 cows. Prior to the wolves it was 60 plus. Bears also take moose and elk calves. Wolves are not the only predator.
Next you can look at the Yellowstone elk herd. If I remember right that herd is down about 50% from pre wolf days.
Next the Clearwater herd in N. Idaho. They are down a whopping 70% and its NOT mostly bear predation. The Idaho F@G has had to do some aerial shooting on wolves because they have done so much damage to the local herd.
What it boils down to is wolves are a predator. They eat meat. Every deer/elk/moose they eat is one less that sportsman can take. I don't mind some around, but they have gotten out of hand. We were told about a minimum level when they transplanted them in and then changed that number drastically UP. I don't like being lied to. I no longer hunt elk in Western Wy because the areas I hunted no longer support the numbers of elk that they used to.
I used to hunt near Moran Junction. Opening day it was common to see 75-150 elk taken. The last year I hunted there I was told of 3 being taken. Their was a wolf den on the hill I usually hunt. I didn't think it was a coincident. Careful control is needed or it will only get worse. Bruce