Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why so many shots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why so many shots?

All reasons why I cannot understand how anyone can hunt with a scope with a plex type reticle and capped turrets (the knobs underneath probably not zeroed either). Out to 200 yards, probably no issue, but after that one needs either a graduated reticle or dialable turrets or both...

I also guess that the shooter was suffering from some buck fever and over confident or just a lousy shot. An Elk is a pretty big target, I have held "kentucky" elevation on a 12x12 plate at 320 yards with a fixed 6x scope and shot a slightly bigger than 2" group with a sporter 308. Granted that the drop at 400 is quite a bit more than at 320 and I had been zeroed at 160 yards.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure like most of us, he would love to have it harvested with one shot quickly and humanely or better shot placement(s). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

We can criticize it all we want but at the end of the day God was watching over him and blessed him with a very nice bull. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I'm pretty sure like most of us, he would love to have it harvested with one shot quickly and humanely or better shot placement(s). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

We can criticize it all we want but at the end of the day God was watching over him and blessed him with a very nice bull. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Amen!

Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Amen!
I second the amen!!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

People that put up videos like that make me sick and I thought I heard him whisper to the shooter just before the first shot that it was 450!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM

This is why I shoot bergers. Even thoug I'm not shooting a shoulder cannon, just an '06, it still does the trick quick and clean.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travishunter3006 View Post
This is why I shoot bergers. Even thoug I'm not shooting a shoulder cannon, just an '06, it still does the trick quick and clean.
The problem with this situation isn't the bullet but the placement. There's not a bullet on the planet that would have helped this guy. Bergers seem to be the most controversial maker out right now, some guys swear by it, others despise them. All in all it just depends on placement.