Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

This wasn't me taking the high road or anything, it was a wounded bull that needed to be killed, some wounding happens from idiots doing stupid stuff but this particular case was not that at all, I was more than happy to take this bull!!!
It's just a good example of what a bull can take when hit in a none vital area, they can take a pounding when hitting heavy bone.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I am one of those that shoots everything in the shoulder. If I took a picture of my hand with the same bone from a big eland bull or a cape buffalo it would be even more dramatic but that's the best place to shoot them too. A heavy premium bullet will blow through that bone and the one on the other side. I have not lost a buffalo yet with a good shoulder shot and have never had a PH tell me to shoot them anywhere else. I do think that a lot of bullets might not do the job but there quite a few that will destroy both shoulders. I am not sure they will do so at a 1000 yards but they will at normal hunting distance. I have not shot many animals at over 400 yards but several hundred big critters at less and never lost one with a shoulder shot. I have had a nice 7 STW and a couple of other long range rifles built and hope I get the chance to try it out.of course just because that's what I do I am not saying there is anything wrong with the other shots. If you hit the vitals they will die.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

I don't take bigngreen as a BS kinda guy. Jusr read more of his posts.
Personally I have used a high shoulder shot effectively to drop one right there when necessary. The precautions are a stout bullet for.penetration, and as b&g stated, know where that spine is.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I don't take bigngreen as a BS kinda guy. Jusr read more of his posts.
Personally I have used a high shoulder shot effectively to drop one right there when necessary. The precautions are a stout bullet for.penetration, and as b&g stated, know where that spine is.
Amen to that!

As long as human factors are involved (id, ego, and super-ego), it will always complicate things even with the best intentions, like what BNG is trying to help all of us.

Thanks BNG for sharing!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Bronze Member

Is this discussion based around the assumption that hitting it in the shoulder will keep the Elk from using it's legs to run with ?
I have never shot an Elk (or anything else for that matter) but, it would seem to me that damaging the Heart & lungs would do more to take the animal down more quickly than trying to shatter BONE.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Owl Mirror View Post
Is this discussion based around the assumption that hitting it in the shoulder will keep the Elk from using it's legs to run with ?
I have never shot an Elk (or anything else for that matter) but, it would seem to me that damaging the Heart & lungs would do more to take the animal down more quickly than trying to shatter BONE.

It's possible for an elk to go a pretty good distance when hit in the chest (heart/lungs). Not so with a good bullet that breaks the front shoulders.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
It's possible for an elk to go a pretty good distance when hit in the chest (heart/lungs). Not so with a good bullet that breaks the front shoulders.
Also not so with a good bullet that destroys hearts, lungs and large arteries when shot behind the front shoulder.

Jeff