Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Tikkamike---Again you are talking out your piehole because you have no idea what I have shot and your "everybody does it" on the shooting from the road is BS because it's still illegal! You were the one to come on here and respond to my post that was not asking you for a response, so don't preach to me about what the thread was about. Just because I live in MI doesn't mean I don't know a lot about Wyoming, in particular the area where you live. I was out in your area again for almost six weeks this season, shot a decent 4x4 and goat, and also helped a friend that drew a bull tag get a great 6x7 bull. Last year I helped a friend take one that scored 357 3/8" and could have shot both of them, but you are probably aware that you have to draw a tag for the area as a nonresident and they aren't easy to come by! Attached are pictures of those animals. I know you had a great year too-congrats, but don't think you are the greatest hunter on the website as there are a lot of us that have probably hunted for twice as long as you've been alive, LOL!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!-2010-trip-082.jpg   Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!-2011-trip-078.jpg  

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!-2011-trip-105.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Guys,
Weather you agree with the bullet placement or not, I think its gone WAY off the deep end.
It started with great information. Good anatomy pics that just about anyone can bennifit from.
Just my opinion, but I'm certain I'm not alone.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Well what's legal And isn't illegal doesn't matter and is irrelevant. And no you didn't ask for my opinion but the Guy before you didn't ask for yours. But its an open forum And that's what you get. And just because you spent 6 weeks here this year doesn't mean you know the place. And just cause you were close enough to an elk to have shot it yourself doesn't mean anything. There's tons of elk here. And if your calling one of the bulls in those pics a 357" bull you need a new tape measure

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Guys,
Weather you agree with the bullet placement or not, I think its gone WAY off the deep end.
It started with great information. Good anatomy pics that just about anyone can bennifit from.
Just my opinion, but I'm certain I'm not alone.
Well said. Sorry to the op for being a part of This going off subject. I like the pics they provoke thought. I have an elk to kill This weekend I'm gonna keep this in mind as I always shoot for shoulders. ...

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHAND View Post
SO if I am to understand your story correctly
You did not!! Likely my writing skills threw you of track so I'll give it an other run.

Bull was heading down hill and the shot was down hill but not super steep. The bull was not running full out but moving and at the shot the bullet going over his spine and breaking the top of a couple vertebra stunned him and his momentum caused him to endo. Quickly he was on his front end paddling down hill in the bottom and he was trying to get his back end under him and another shooter who was closer shot him in the neck. His spine was not broken hence the ability to move out again and to try to get his back end under himself, he was not mortally wounded as no vital organ had been permanently impacted and given enough time he may have fully recovered.
Three years ago my buddy took a cow that was moving fine and looked good but when we cut her she had been hit exactly the same and had healed up none the worse. She was missing the tops of two vertebra and had holes in the tips of the shoulders that had healed over.

The first shot was not all luck but there was a good share of it there, he lead correctly for speed and it was his first shot so some amount of skill was involved. Second shooter was closer and his skill level is high, that shot was not difficult and the elk was not always moving so there was time to pick the shot!!

As far as shooting running elk, some days I go elk hunting and if they are running or I don't have the shot I'm looking for they win the game, they played better that day and they live, other days it's about body count and putting pounds in the freezer and they better turn the afterburners on if they intend to live!! The areas I hunt if you don't learn to hit moving elk your going to be sitting on your thumbs till your needed to drag elk out

That wound is fairly common from that kind of bullet as it didn't hit anything very thick or hard just a flimsy area of a shoulder and some small bones on top of the spine. Cut a few hundred head of elk a year and you'll see it more than a few times!!

This wound did not result in an impact of the bullet to the spine, that's the point! You have to know your anatomy is my whole point and show guys just what it is that some think you need to shoot through to drop elk.

The bullet impacting the shoulder blade does nothing to the spine!! I've watched time after time guys try to shot an elk in the shoulder with the wrong bullet and the bullet piles up 100% of the available energy on that shoulder blade and the only thing it does to an elk is make it run on three legs. Myth Busters busted the whole bullet imparting knock down energy, they couldn't knock a stiff pig of a beam at point blank range with an pile of different rifles. Your bullet hits to small of an area to fast to impart enough movement to kill an animal.
Another example would be a moo cow, I've hit a cow so hard with a post in the shoulder that it made her take a step to the side and she did not drop dead. If shoot an elk it won't be pushed at all unless your shooting an extreme class of weapon.

The "Knuckle Head" has likely killed more elk than most have seen, this was a new bullet and it obviously did not work and it will not be used again. If he shot elk behind the shoulder most times it would be GTG but for shooting bone it has to much frontal area without much behind it. I frankly do NOT care what a bullet does on the off side it's what it does on the on side and the middle!!!

The second pic is of the one from the shoulder blade to the leg bone, I believe it's the Humerus in a human. The big joint forms the point of the shoulder and is hella hard to punch through consistently but you see people saying shoot them at the point of the shoulder.
The only reason I brought up and arrow is I ideally place my first shot the same place I would an arrow, that's it's only relevance to this thread. The thread title is a little miss leading, I will shoot an elk through the shoulder but now I really only take it when I need to as a follow up shot, did it this year and the bullet did great and blew through and smoked it but I had already put a lethal shot on it with a smaller cal.

I think I about covered it all, sorry for the broken nature of how it's written. Oh, almost forgot, I don't think elk are anything other than big, tasty vermin. I've seen them devastate whole hay crops that I worked my @ss of to raise and I shot them like vermin when I could and coyote sucks, tough and stringy and I'll put a bullet through him while running as well!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Good post biggreen, don't let the "whip them out" contest ruin this post or continue to drag this site down.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

TikkaMike---So now you're looking at a picture and telling me that first bull doesn't score what I stated? In other words, you're calling me a liar Mr. Expert!!! For your information Mr. AHole, that was the official score after the 60 day drying period and it was scored by the Cody taxidermist, Mr. James Marsico, who has animals in the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum, as well as a diorama of antelope in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. !!! I think he more than knows how to tape and score a friggin elk with the numerous ones, along with all the other animals that come through his shop! You are turning into a complete jackass on this Forum and I'm done with you and would appreciate an apology on this last BS you just posted. That's probably asking too much from a know it all that you seem to have become though!