Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
I will say that I enjoy this forum for the entertainment but mostly for the gain of knowledge, but to reiterate an older post, an elk with a broken shoulder can cover a lot of country! An elk with it's ability to breathe that has been made ineffective by two holes on each side of its chest is a dead elk! There is no way to argue this fact. I kill elk to eat, so shooting them in the shoulder is one of the stupidest aiming points in my opinion.
We all have to learn lessons the hard way more then we admit!
If you go out to kill an elk to say that you killed an elk. Haul it to some poor other person to cut up, and then write them a check for processing and pick up your three boxes of meat, then shoot them where ever you wish ! I hate cutting blood shot meat!
Happy hunting !
Great post!!

" Haul it to some poor other person to cut up, and then write them a check for processing and pick up your three boxes of meat, then shoot them where ever you wish !"

You forgot the part where they whine about only getting 90 lbs of meat of an elk and calling you a thief because they have half the packages of steak because they blow a hole through them after blowing the shoulder of it!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

I believe the guys that have had failed shoulder shots, not sure why as I have shot well over 1000 big game animals from deer to big bull elephants and have never not blown through the shoulder and yes elk too. The smallest caliber on elk was 257 weatherby with 100 grain TSX at 245 yards nice5x6 bull broke shoulder and messed up opposite shoulder and the bull did not take 5 steps. With 300 weatherby 180 TSX. Blew hole through both shoulders easily. On cape buffalo 375 RUM with 300 grain north fork softs just decimated the shoulders and was dead faster than hits from my doubles. Was I paying attention to meat damage, NO I just wanted the animals on the ground. Why the big deal, dead is dead. I'd you want to shoot them behind great or why not just head shoot them and waste no meat. I will be hunting elk in sep with 300 RUM with 200 grain TSX and will break both shoulders if given that shot if going away I will Texas heart shoot one and the bullet will be somewhere up front when we gut him. I have shot an elk that is on my wall with a 270 weatherby right in the head and it did nothing to the trophy.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
I have shot well over 1000 big game animals from deer to big bull elephants.
My god how old are you? If you shot 22 animals a year for 45 years you would not have a killed 1000. But well over 1000? You must have one impressively large trophy room.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My god how old are you? If you shot 22 animals a year for 45 years you would not have a killed 1000. But well over 1000? You must have one impressively large trophy room.

Jeff
Hahaha! I was doing the same math but stopped when it started getting ridiculous. Who knows, maybe he was the person that supplied the South African Government with this?:

South Africa looks to sell some of $1 bln rhino horn stockpile
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Jeff

***No kidding! Maybe it was a typo meant to be 100, as a guy would have to be a millionaire and strictly hunting full time all over the world to shoot well over 1000 animals in a normal lifetime!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Dennis Rodman claims to have had sex with 2000 women. Up until now he was my hero...

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Funny that I just went back in his post history and in March he said he has shot over 300 animals and over 100 were whitetails through the shoulder. Just sayin, but is anything this member posts to be taken for real!