Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

I've noticed that with shoulder shots the bones themselves splinter into the vitals. I've never had any trouble with the shoulder shot. It's always inflicted a lot of damage into the vitals! I just try to use enough gun for the situation.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Why shoot an animal through the thickest, hardest place to reach the vitals when you have a poorly protected thin boned area that you can put almost any bullet through and guaranteed access to critical life functions! Sure it's not as spectacular as knocking them in the dirt but walking up to elk that have drug themselves hundreds of yards and cutting their throats don't exactly trip my trigger nor does watching them run of packing a broken shoulder, if an elk wobbles 20 or even 50 yards then falls over because he's out of juice that is where you go get a dead elk and I've found them much easier to eat when dead

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Why track'em when you don't have to?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
This seams a little knee jerk to me there is no BS intended. I think its good advice bigngreen is giving. I cut alot of deer here in NY and its very amazing the wounds we see these animals have survived. If you have shot them through the shoulder in the past and recovered them thats great for you. But here we like to air on the side of caution no one want to loose and animal or worse yet to have one suffer. In my opnion any information that helps you do that is good information not BS.
+1 on Wolverine deer. I'm all about a boiler room shot. Besides, I don't want to treck hill and dale following a blood trail.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader82 View Post
Why track'em when you don't have to?
That's my whole point, failed shoulder shot elk makes for elk tracking more often than than shooting them though the lungs/heart with a bullet that opens. Way more opportunities to fail trying to shoot an elk through heavy bone than through light ribs, I really hate following elk so I shoot them through the highest percentage spot for 100% dead elk. Deer I could careless, I've shot them through the shoulders with a 22-250 or an arrow, neither of which will do much to an elk other than give him a limp till they heal.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

That's cause you didn't use enough lead.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

22-250? Really?