Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Me too.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 PM

this is exactly why i decided to start shooting my .338X378 KT... to many horror stories of lost elk... if anyone has ever hunted for Roosevelts on the Oregon coast in November they know that its not the kind of country you want to be chasing wounded elk trough
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

I absolutely love shooting deer through the front shoulders! No tracking! This is how Dad taught me. We have hunted a lot of places in our tri-state area were there are many other hunters. You don't have to worry about losing any when you do it like that! Plus I just really love watching them drop. Just make sure you use enough gun. The lightest I do the shoulder shot with is my 25-06 and a good bullet. On deer the 30's,7's,6.5's,27's, and 25's seem to work well. All of mine are chambered in browning auto rifles. I just picked up a browning auto in 243 but I don't know if ill try it on the shoulders or not. Anyway, I daydream about ambushing an ol'buck and breaking him down. Sweet Dreams tonight boys!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader82 View Post
I absolutely love shooting deer through the front shoulders! No tracking! This is how Dad taught me. We have hunted a lot of places in our tri-state area were there are many other hunters. You don't have to worry about losing any when you do it like that! Plus I just really love watching them drop. Just make sure you use enough gun. The lightest I do the shoulder shot with is my 25-06 and a good bullet. On deer the 30's,7's,6.5's,27's, and 25's seem to work well. All of mine are chambered in browning auto rifles. I just picked up a browning auto in 243 but I don't know if ill try it on the shoulders or not. Anyway, I daydream about ambushing an ol'buck and breaking him down. Sweet Dreams tonight boys!
A deer shoulder has nothing in common with an elk other than they perform the same function!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

"A deer shoulder has nothing in common with an elk other than they perform the same function!"

***Amen Bro, and that is saying something!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

Unfortunately I don't have an option to hunt elk. We do have'em in Kentucky now but getting a tag is impossible. I have been to Colorado for elk years ago. I didn't draw a tag but my Dad did and I was along for the ride. He shot an elk with a 30-06 and was hit with quick reality! It acted like it had never been shot (behind the front shoulder). After that he said he wouldn't bring anything smaller than a 300 win mag (which we didn't own at the time). Thanks for reminding me of the common function of a shoulder blade. I would definitely try a shoulder shot on an elk as long as I had enough gun.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Also not so with a good bullet that destroys hearts, lungs and large arteries when shot behind the front shoulder.

Jeff
I've never shot for the front shoulders intentionally when a broadside shot behind the front shoulders was available. Started out archery hunting at 13, which required aiming for the ribs behind the front shoulders. Anyone that's shot a large game animal thru both lungs with a sharp broadhead on an arrow already understands how quickly lethal that wound channel is.

The State of Alaska Fish & Game department has produced an informational pamphlet for brown bear hunters, encouraging behind the shoulder shots thru both lungs, preferentially to targeting the front legs/shoulders. They seem to believe that the front shoulder shot is too small a target, and a high risk shot for wounding brown bears, compared to a broadside shot just behind the front legs and shoulder meat. The bear can travel a little ways when shot behind both front shoulders, but not so far as to be unable to recover. The bear does expire reliably and readily after the heart/lung/artery area has been damaged. That's where I've shot the brown bears that I've killed. And most every other game animal for many years now. It's the largest lethal target, allowing the maximum room for slight errors in bullet placement, in my opinion.