Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Topgun you actually guessed the reason; public land. I hunt in a lot of places where there are many hunters. Even the private land has plenty of hunters. It's important to drop the animal where it is or seriously risk losing it! It has happened many times to my family and I. This is a common problem in the east as everyone becomes a deer hunter in gun season. Archery season your ok but gun is crazy. Besides, I like to knock'em stiff!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

I'm also a fan of shooting them under the chin! It looks like one of those old reach tooth brush commercials where the guys head goes all the way back like its on a hinge.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM

The argument of placement is a valid argument but I get so sick of the argument of "firepower" for elk. I have a buddy that hunts elk on his farm with a 22-250. People killed hundreds of animals for years with black powder sub-sonic round balls. Basically if you shoot it and recover it you had enough firepower and have no questions. But if you've ever shot an elk and had it get away you will replay it in your mind for life, and never stop wondering if you would of just taken one more deep breath, allowed him to take one more step, or had one more FPS if it would have made the difference.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahikilr View Post
The argument of placement is a valid argument but I get so sick of the argument of "firepower" for elk. I have a buddy that hunts elk on his farm with a 22-250. People killed hundreds of animals for years with black powder sub-sonic round balls. Basically if you shoot it and recover it you had enough firepower and have no questions. But if you've ever shot an elk and had it get away you will replay it in your mind for life, and never stop wondering if you would of just taken one more deep breath, allowed him to take one more step, or had one more FPS if it would have made the difference.
Don't really understand what you are getting at....
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM

That everyone likes to debate and criticize what is the proper caliber to hunt elk with. An elk can be killed with just about anything and I feel that has been proven. I don't believe that you can overkill an animal but I do believe that you can under kill one. If you gave someone the choice of having an animal that is wounded or one that is dead everyone would choose the latter. Heavy high quality bullets pushed at higher speeds transfer more energy and can help dispatch an animal whenever a mistake happens. I guess the point I'm making is I don't understand why people would purposefully try and push the boundaries of taking game with a smaller round. If you do not have a physical issue shoot the biggest round you can shoot confidently.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Amen to that philosophy Brother!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

Yep, I thought you were saying it the other way around initially, which is why I was a little confused...