Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I hope you're carrying bear spray at all times when you're out if that's the case.
Well at that particular time I had no idea I was in such a wild country ;>}
I've lived in the city most of my life and being new to Montana, didn't even think about such things. I now know better and have a can of FRONTIERSMAN Brand Bear Spray which I carry whenever I go out, fishing or just walking.
I had a Park Ranger who works in Yellowstone recommend that brand. He told me, even though he carries a hand gun, it is way better to use the spray than a gun. He said, with a gun unless you have nerves of steel and are an expert shot, all you will do is piss the bear off even more. With the spray, more times than not you can get away without incident.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I've read that 270 article before. I spent nearly 30 years as a guide and outfitter here in Colorado. I whole- heartedly agree.
Thanks !
Yes, it really instilled a sense of confidence that buying this rifle won't be a mistake.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Owl Mirror View Post
Well at that particular time I had no idea I was in such a wild country ;>}
I've lived in the city most of my life and being new to Montana, didn't even think about such things. I now know better and have a can of FRONTIERSMAN Brand Bear Spray which I carry whenever I go out, fishing or just walking.
I had a Park Ranger who works in Yellowstone recommend that brand. He told me, even though he carries a hand gun, it is way better to use the spray than a gun. He said, with a gun unless you have nerves of steel and are an expert shot, all you will do is piss the bear off even more. With the spray, more times than not you can get away without incident.
Hmm, bears do not always come at you from down wind. You ever spray that magic can into the wind? If that bear comes to kill you, and eat you, you will probably never have a chance to jerk your sort of protection. I prefer a shot gun with 00 buck in high probability encounter areas. A pistol at least, most times while hunting you do have a rifle handy. I am not a fan of the can! Back to topic a 270 is strong medicine within its range limit. And I am a fan of two holes in the chest!
Happy hunting
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Hmm, bears do not always come at you from down wind. You ever spray that magic can into the wind? If that bear comes to kill you, and eat you, you will probably never have a chance to jerk your sort of protection. I prefer a shot gun with 00 buck in high probability encounter areas. A pistol at least, most times while hunting you do have a rifle handy. I am not a fan of the can! Back to topic a 270 is strong medicine within its range limit. And I am a fan of two holes in the chest!
Happy hunting
What wind?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM

back to the op. try to one shot kill an elk, put it thru the shoulders, get em down and then finish them off. i live in az and we have big elk out here and if you dont kill the front legs they will run forever. my 06 with 168 ttsx has always put em chin ass up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I've not had the pleasure of hunting elk. I accompanied my Dad and Grandfather once but we didn't get one. I've always been taught on whitetails to shoot through both shoulders if broadside. It works well here. I've not had one take hardly a step after shooting through both shoulders. Of course, use enough gun. Also, elk are huge and totally different so I can't really say yea or nay but i will remember this info. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader82 View Post
I've not had the pleasure of hunting elk. I accompanied my Dad and Grandfather once but we didn't get one. I've always been taught on whitetails to shoot through both shoulders if broadside. It works well here. I've not had one take hardly a step after shooting through both shoulders. Of course, use enough gun. Also, elk are huge and totally different so I can't really say yea or nay but i will remember this info. Thanks!

*** There is absolutely no reason to shoot a deer through the shoulders and whoever told you that needs to rethink that message! Shoot them with the proper bullet right behind the front leg into that heart/lung area and it's a dead deer every time and they won't go far. The only reason for a shoulder shot is to take the animal down where it stands, which is not necessary a good part of the time unless you're in heavily hunted public land where someone else might take your animal if it isn't DRT.