Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
There are ways around that too. A muzzle brake willake a 300 feel like a 243. But is all about what you are comfortable with.
Thanks! As you can tell I am not very knowledgeable about firearms.
Maybe after I practice with this rifle and see how things go, I can upgrade & improve my equipment so I can take part in the bigger game hunts.

Just so I'm clear, you wouldn't recommend shooting any animal larger than a deer with this particular rifle?
What about Antelope or Bighorn Sheep or Mountain Goat ?

Antelope Application Deadline June 1
Bighorn Sheep & Mountain Goat Application Deadline May 1
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

If you aren't comforatable going to a three hundy, maybe compromise by going with a 7mm Rem Mag, or 7mm Rem Ult Mag. Savage makes a great rifle, but might I also mention the Howa 1500 as your first rifle. The Howa rifles are great rifles, at a good price. If you were to pick up a Howa rifle and a good optic, you could have a great starter rifle without breaking the bank. Then if you figure out you like this hunting thing, then go all out. Nice to see someone getting into hunting for the first time. It seems like most are turning anti hunting, anti fishing, and anti outdoors period. It's sad.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

dont get me wrong the 270 will kill them all deader than dead... just not as well as the 300+ or even the 7mm's I have killed tons of elk with a 7mm, just pick a good heavy well constructed bullet. for years and years the 270 and 30-06 were the main 2 calibers in the elk hunting woods

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Listen to TIKKAMIKE, as everything he's said on this thread is spot on. The .270 will do the job on those other animals with no problem with the proper bullet and placement of said bullet and it will on elk too, but as he mentioned, the bigger calibers are the way to go on elk if you can handle them.

It was also mentioned about Montana having a grizzly bear season in 2014. The grizzly won't even come up for delisting by the Feds under the ESA until 2014 and even if they are delisted it will probably be at least a year or two after that before any state would implement a hunting season on them. It definitely won't be as early as 2014 though, and willl be another huge hassle just like the wolf debacle in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

while I agree that a sucking chest wound will kill anything, the big thing is will it have time to KILL you. Elk, and such not worried but bigger badder things can go a while with chest wound. I have seen a grizzly go close to half a mile and expire but if he decided to come I could not run far enough to get away. Buffalo can go miles, they all don't but only the one that does can kill you. shoot the biggest gun you can shoot well if thats a 270 thats good but put it in the right place.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
while I agree that a sucking chest wound will kill anything, the big thing is will it have time to KILL you. Elk, and such not worried but bigger badder things can go a while with chest wound. I have seen a grizzly go close to half a mile and expire but if he decided to come I could not run far enough to get away. Buffalo can go miles, they all don't but only the one that does can kill you. shoot the biggest gun you can shoot well if thats a 270 thats good but put it in the right place.

grizzley.... i have no idea other than shoot till its dead then shoot it again. And the reason a buffalo can go so long with a shot in the ribs is there is so much meat , fat, hide and hair its will actually occlude the wound partially thus slowing down the process of lung collapse etc... basically shoot the most effective gun you can and use a good bullet

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Owl Mirror View Post
I'm just starting out and probably won't be hunting Elk in the near future, although I may join my friends when they do, if possible. This Savage 116FHSAK .270 will be my first firearm.
Whatever you choose, search through the many anatomy lessons bigngreen has posted. If you choose to shoulder shoot or not, you need to first know where it is. A trip to the zoo, or glassing the various animals close to home is helpful. At this time of year the bones are showing pretty good. In the fall at peak of condition not so much.