I will soon have two, both 338's:
Ultralight Backpacking elk rifle:
- Stainless Win M70 short action chambered in 338-300 WSM
- PacNor 24" ultralight contour barrel
- Bell and Carlson Medalist stock glass bedded
- Teflon coat all metal
- VX3 4.5-14x50mm w/ Talley Rings
- 210 TTSX @ 2850 fps, 1/2 moa
- 7.2 lbs
- personal range limit of about 600-650 yards for elk with this rifle/load, which at my average 8500 ft. elk hunting elevation has the 210 TTSX at 1980+ fps and 1830+ ft*lbs.
Will have the following (~6weeks) as my "new" go-to LR Elk setup:
- Borden Timberline Magnum 338 RUM
- Hart 27" #4 contour plus CSR 3 port brake
- McMillan Game Scout Edge fill stock
- Jewel Trigger
- Cerakote all metal
- Optics: TBD, likely NF NXS 5.5-22x56 w/ Seekins Rings
- 250 Berger Hybrid - ~3000 fps ??
- 11# estimated weight fully outfitted
- personal range limit for elk: Gonna be fun practicing to figure this one out!
- 250 Berger carries 1650 fps and 1500 ft*lbs out to 1500 yards, so I would say that is the limit of the bullet/load. Rifle/Shooter TBD.
- Also would like to play around with the Barnes 265 and 285 LRX