Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

What's the most affordable way to successfully hunt an elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: What's the most affordable way to successfully hunt an elk?

Just a take your quad or a truck. You cant drive up to the elk and shoot him so who cares? Your going to hunt. What you drive the carcass out on is irrelevant. Buy some good boots. Blisters suck.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Silver Member

Norsepeak is pretty spot on about traffic and elk. Shoot, I live in N. Idaho along Interstate 90 and there are elk behind my house and right next to the interstate. It's steep and very brushy where I live but there are elk here year round.

The thing is these elk are educated. They know the program and when the pressure is on they just head into the thick brush and then at night come out and hit waterholes and do their socializing.

We've taken plenty of elk in eyesite of the freeway. If there is good habitat like cover, water supply, and feed there most likely will be elk even in high traffic areas.

My favorite is backpack hunting as I am geared up well for this. But I've seen too many elk shot on or by a road and cannot say that they aren't can't be found at traveled locations like roads or trails.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Do it the easy and affordable way. First buy a limited entry Cow only tag. This may change your expectations, but it will also likely guarantee you an elk for around $200 for a non-resident tag.

Learn a bit about elk, phyical conditioning, and take home some meat when you are done. No need to spend a lot of time and money on a bull tag to likely end up with years of frustration while you learn what a monumental task a solo or backpack elk can be. Start with a high chance of success for low cost and learn the game at your pace. It ain't nearly as easy as the private land "professionals" on TV make it look. Plus they have an entourage of hired hands.

Best of luck.