Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

What's the most affordable way to successfully hunt an elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
This hunt would be in the 2009 year if it worked out. There is only one guy that would be able to physically do the hunt with me and we'd have a lot of preparing to do before hand.

I guess now I'm thinking the two of us guys could pretty easily put an ATV in the back of my truck and head out west. Once we get there we can back pack in. If we're successfull maybe we could just have one guy drop his gear and walk back to the truck and get the ATV to pack out the animal.

Maybe the best route will be that one guy gets a mule deer tag and the other gets an elk tag and see what we see.

Do the google earth thing for the area you are considering.

That would give you some idea of where roads are located.

Even a short haul is a real haul. Some times it is more risky during the field dressing and pack out than the rest of the hunt.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

I've read that field dressing and packing out is the prime time that people encounter bears or anything else dangerous if they do encounter anything.

It would be nice to down one in the open.

Do you all experienced hunters look for elk in the woods, small openings, or wide open space? I'm assuming they're like anything else and will stick to heavy woods as much as possible.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I had another thought about this hunt tonight. I need to look into when seasons overlap. I say this because if we go out there with two bull elk tags we'll see all the deer, or bears there are and nothing else. I'm thinking about having my cousin get an elk tag (he wants an elk more than I do) and I'll get a mule deer or black bear tag. That way we're likely to run into something while we're out there. Is that feasible or am I getting carried away?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Why not get 2 Elk tags and then 2 bear tags. Our Elk seasons do not over lap with deer seasons. But bear runs for about 6 months.
If you plan on hunting in a wilderness area, forget the ATV nothing with a wheel is allowed in wilderness area's not even game haulers that have the bicycle wheel can be taken into Oregons wilderness area's. But like I said you can drive right up to wilderness areas in a lot of places in Oregon's Cascade mountains. I don't know if you want to drive clear out to Oregon or not but I thought I would give you the info. anyway.
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM

I went to CO last year and hunted cow elk. The best thing I can tell you is be in good shape. We walk 6 miles a day. The farther you can get from the road the better your chances. My family has hunted cows for the last 5 years, and we have not came home with out yet. Good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Any type of trail or footpath near running water at dawn or dusk will eventually get you an elk!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Any type of trail or footpath near running water at dawn or dusk will eventually get you an elk!
And about 12:30-2:00 one will sometimes decide to go have a little drink.