Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

What speed of single file elk walking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What speed of single file elk walking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Elk, like people, come in a real variety of sizes. The cow I killed last year was bigger than some herd bulls I have seen. Then there are the year and a half old cows which might be on the small side.

Elk that have been spooked and have slowed too a walk are really moving right along at a good clip.

The last year we hunted in Idaho there was a bunch of guys from Washington state who would conduct drives and shoot at the bulls while they were running in the herd. From the looks of the herd they had managed to hit at least one of the cows.

Knew a guy that took a shot at a antelope herd buck on the run and hit a fawn instead.

Bob---am glad you posted this because back in the late 80's a friend of ours was hunting with us and had never killed a Turkey. Long story short we ran into a herd and he got into position but they started to run----missed the 1st shot (300) yards some flew and the 2nd one one hit a bird that fell down. We said great shot that is tough to do----he said "yes but I was aiming at the one ahead of him"!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

This is long range hunting.

It seems we can't shoot elk at really long range, because they are too hard to kill.
It seems we can't shoot elk at really long range when the wind is blowing.
It seems we can't shoot elk at really long range if they are walking.

But I need to do the best I can, because where I am going, the sage brush is the heavy cover.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
if the bullet takes 0.8 seconds to go that far, I need to know the speed of the animals so I can shoot in front of them.
I don't know how fast an elk walks but let's assume it is about as fast as a brisk walk for a man -- say 6mph.

I remember that 60 mph is 88 ft/sec so 6mph is about 8.8 ft/sec.

Your bullet reaches there in 0.8 seconds. So the elk has moved 7 feet in that time. Or maybe 5 feet, or maybe 9 feet, or maybe 4 feet, or maybe ... ?

And the kill zone is how wide? Is it 9 feet minus 4 feet wide?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post

It seems we can't shoot elk at really long range, because they are too hard to kill.

But I need to do the best I can, because where I am going, the sage brush is the heavy cover.
Maybe you need to shorten the distance you are shooting from----not everyone has the skills, knowledge, equipment and experience to "open fire" as you say just because you can.

Be careful here as there are many of us who take shooting at extended range very seriously and take pride in knowing that when the trigger is pulled something goes down.

Something to think about....
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post

Don't take it wrong, guys on LRH are the best at it, bar none and the best to learn from, especially if you can hook up with one of them and shoot. Your getting this advice based on experience, I've wounded elk and not just one doing and learning the things you don't do on an elk, fortunately most of the times my old man was there and after the first shot, if it was of he dumped it. If you don't have a back up plan for a poor shot why chance it. I've shot a ton of animal moving but an elk is one that I won't take unless I'm way close.

You can certainly kill elk long range, this site is all about it! Not discouraging you from it but there are different ways to go about so when the trigger is pulled you have a dead animal on the ground.

You can certainly kill elk long range in the wind, they have a larger vitals for one and for me if I can't put a bullet in the vitals in a 10mph wind I would have to stay home, the more wind mean more practice behind your rifle shooting and learning.

You can certainly kill and elk long range walking, but you would have to have every skill set firmly in place before you could do it with a high percentage of cold bore hits.

Experience speaks volumes, guys on this site have it in spades and they will help, sometimes not by say what you want to hear. Trust me I've gotten schooled on LRH!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"