Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

What to bring on my first elk hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What to bring on my first elk hunt?

Your license/tag to hunt legally!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I am heading to COlorado for my fourth crack at elk hunting this year. from the past 3 years:

1) Good boots, well broken in. If new, start breaking them in now. It's not too soon.

2) If there is any verticle involved, get boots 1/2 to 1 full size longer than what you wear on flat land. Toe bump on the steep down hillls will kill your toes in a very short time.

3) If any hiking/humping involved, as mentioned before, clothes that wick. Merino wool or Under Armour type base layer. Wool / synthetic outer layers. If you are hiking/humping/going vertical, leave the Carhartts coveralls in the cabin/truck/4 wheeler.

4) Take both scopes. Start off with the 4x12. When hiking in Colorado, lighter is better. I had a Leupold LR 6.5x20x50 once upon a time. Good glass, but way too heavy. If you end up bushwacking 500 to 1000 vertical feet (or more) in a day, you will appreciate the weight savings.

5) Final thing to take on the trip is the lightest, most fit you that you can put together in time for the trip. Given the altitude, and the terrain, you need to be in the best condition possible to have the most enjoyable trip possible.

If you use the search function for this site and on 24HCF there is plenty of good information to soak up and learn. But most of all, Enjoy ! It is addicting...
Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

I carry 2 small tubes of 'Vaseline Lip Therapy' cause when I can't find one the other is in my pocket. Some years my lips and fingers crack out there and you might have to poke some up your nose to keep it soft also. If you need it and don't have it life, can be a bitch.
Good luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
... Some years my lips and fingers crack out there ...
LOL ! So far, has been EVERY year for me. And yes, it sucks. Especially the fingers. So far this year, I have been having good luck with O'Keefes Working Hands. We will see in October if it really makes a difference...
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Leupold Mark 4 or VX1. That's like saying Ford Taurus or Mustang. Both will get you to point B but only one will be worth the ride.
True but when you want just better MPG take the Taurus.

Same as if i'm only able to shoot 200yds the mark 4 would be over kill on the power.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Unless you know what you are doing with a call, leave it at home. A guy could find an elk farm and get a call and go have some schooling. Good comfy boots, wool clothes in layers, check zero before hunting and if it is looking tough I always get all the elevation possible and start to look and listen! When ya whack that bull, especially if it is your first elk, keep putting lead into it until it is really dead!
Happy hunting!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Don't get your hopes up for those stands you were talking about. It's more likely you will walk your butt off in our beautiful mtns.