Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Went Ugly Early - Bergers did fine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Went Ugly Early - Bergers did fine

Good story all the way around. I like that your wife helps, she's a keeper.

You mentioned his eye, could have been like that, maybe he got his butt kicked prior. Looks like another hole in his snout. The bull I took home a few years back had a bullet hole through his horn near the base. Some of these elk/deer have seen worse gun battles then most of the Iraq/Afghanistan vets I know. HA!I know the bull my buddy spooked off first morning ran by some guys and it sounded like going through Fallujah.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Good story, thanks for posting. Good bull and nice set up/shot and all but that is overshadowed by knowing the huge amount of effort you put into quartering and packing out solo -you are one tough hombre in my opinion!

Jack
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

Congrats ! Good story and good bull. I know a whole flock of guys eating tag soup this year that would have loved to have had a chance at that one.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Nothing ugly about a bull getting a ride back to town! Great story
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Oh - I guess I should clarify. I'm flat tickled to have a bull. I went MANY years, especially with often only 2-3 days to hunt while Active Duty, with no Bull. Figuring out a good ridge and long-range hunting some, made the biggest difference. It's one thing to bump them in the woods and see them, getting a good shot is a whole 'nother thing. (I did have good luck with Archery, and need to start that again maybe). Like I said, the success rate in my unit is only about 7% so there is a whole lot of "tag soup" going around. I'm grateful for the elk, and we love to eat it. The dogs also love when I butcher it, because they get tons of scraps and bones (rationed over months).

I only said that because there have been some exceptional 300+, 350+ bulls posted recently (KUDOS) AND...after finally consistently getting a bull, I was beginning to think of getting pickier and holding out (and still plan to). I just wasn't sure with conditions like they are, this was the year to try.

Yeh, Bravo the wife's a keeper for sure. I agree the bull's eye wound coulda been old, but it was obvious it was VERY fresh (fresh blood) - nothing old wound looking...but you are right...it happens more than we think when they fight.

By the way, gutting and cutting up an elk is a great biology lesson for the kids. I cut legs at the knee last year when quarting the bull in the woods and the girls thought it was pretty cool seeing what a tendon and ligament was and how they worked when moving the hoof - could also explain ACLs/MCLs etc, like when sport stars wreck a knee. Way better than a book.

Jackem...thanks, but I think others might use the word "dumb". Might be a fine line there. I don't know about you guys, but many things sound good in the arm chair in the Spring that don't sound so good in the woods. "Heck, if I get a nice one, I'll spend 3 days getting him outta there by myself if I have to"; "I'll just camp up there remotely by myself all week, aint no big deal"; "I'm gonna head in, in the dark by myself 90 minutes before sun up". I've done most of 'em, but I usually have to wonder, "What was I thinking?" Sometimes wisdom fades with time and distance from the woods.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenbugle View Post
Jackem...thanks, but I think others might use the word "dumb". Might be a fine line there. I don't know about you guys, but many things sound good in the arm chair in the Spring that don't sound so good in the woods. "Heck, if I get a nice one, I'll spend 3 days getting him outta there by myself if I have to"; "I'll just camp up there remotely by myself all week, aint no big deal"; "I'm gonna head in, in the dark by myself 90 minutes before sun up". I've done most of 'em, but I usually have to wonder, "What was I thinking?" Sometimes wisdom fades with time and distance from the woods.
I know what you mean. I was prepared to pack in by myself, sleep in my one man tent and eat MRE's for the week. Might not have been a bad idea because after tagging out opening morning and spending the rest of the day packing that dude out by myself, I would have got a good night's sleep and been headed home day two.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

I never even got a look at a bull this year, or even look at a cow through my scope all season! In my books, the first legal bull is the best one on the mountain because you never know what happens after he walks out of sight. And you get an extra man card for taking him out yourself! Good shooting and insurance shots are worth more than a one shot kill to me, you never know if you'll get another chance to put them down and nothing is worse than losing one. Enjoy the steaks!