Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

unit 48 colorado

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: unit 48 colorado

I heard kenetreks are good too but I'm not sure to get the 400's or non insulated boots. From what I hear in late October the weather can vary but it will be cold early and late. I'd also like to get Sitka gear but it's pretty pricey.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
When it comes to clothing and gear, one of the most important items is your boots. If its colder and maybe snowy then I love my Schnee's. They make amazing pac boots. In deep snow a pair of gaiters also nice to keep it from coming in the tops.
+1 on the boots. Get a good pair, or two good pairs, NOW, and start wearing them/breaking them in so they are not noticeable when your wear them. Also, consider 1/2 size to full size larger than what you wear in the east to accommodate the terrain. Steep down hills with any amount of toe bump gets real old, real painful, real fast. I say two pairs if you are returning to the house each night. Maybe a non-insulated pair, and an insulated pair. You can swap off according to the weather.

Also, if you are not already in excellent physical shape, start working out now.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alden1210 View Post
I heard kenetreks are good too but I'm not sure to get the 400's or non insulated boots. From what I hear in late October the weather can vary but it will be cold early and late. I'd also like to get Sitka gear but it's pretty pricey.
I got two pair of hunting boots one is Irish Setter other Danner both have 400 and I use regular boot socks not much into wearing thick socks and walking above timberline. I do agree gaiters are great in the snow mine are 18" got them from Cabela's.

My biggest expense was jacket and bib overall
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Kenetrek makes great boot. I also have a pair of Mountain Extremes, excellent boots but it took me about 30 miles to break them in. It all depends on your budget but I start with best footgear and base layer underwear, and cut cost on outerwear if I have to. A goose down vest and wool shirt works for me and are not as pricey as Sitka. Also choose your backpack carefully.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

I already have a pair of under armor cold gear underwear but idk how good that is compared to what you wear up there. And on the boots I guess I could buy the non insulated boots and the insulated inserts.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Backpacks are a whole other conversation. I've looked at the j34's but I'm kind of thinking that might a little too big for just a day hunt. I'll more than likely be traveling by atv and I just found out for sure I'll be hunting 47 .
Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

also what gps would yall recommend?