Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Unit 34 New Mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Unit 34 New Mexico

How did you do? Cafe in Mayhill and fuel in Mayhill also... bar closed there a couple years ago. Not much rain up there this year either, been dry.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewileyone13 View Post
How did you do? Cafe in Mayhill and fuel in Mayhill also... bar closed there a couple years ago. Not much rain up there this year either, been dry.

Mayhill is a quite little town and enjoyable. Have camped there a few times. But Lord! That hill from Weed down to the highway into Mayhill has caused me to go South and come back around through Dunkin. I was up there to scout the terrain and look for likely camping spots. Now watch they will be taken when I get there.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXDrifter View Post
Mayhill is a quite little town and enjoyable. Have camped there a few times. But Lord! That hill from Weed down to the highway into Mayhill has caused me to go South and come back around through Dunkin. I was up there to scout the terrain and look for likely camping spots. Now watch they will be taken when I get there.
LOL, yeah there are a few places thru there that will test your vehicle and brakes, especially when hauling. Best of luck! I won't be up there hunting this year so I won't be taking any camping spots. Sure wish you the best of luck. There are some nice big bulls in there.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the words of wisdom. If we ever meet, I hope I can give you an Elk Steak.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Man!!! I really miss the Cloudcroft area. I was stationed at Holloman AFB from '98 - '01. I never was drawn for elk but we saw some big boys in that area. One of the biggest bulls I have ever seen was on private land just outside of Cloudcroft. Isn't that how it usually goes? LOL Good luck this year gentlemen and make sure you all post pics!

Knappy
Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Why didn't someone tell me cloudcroft is spelled with a "T"? I just wrote it the way folks in West Texas pronounce it, Cloudcrof (??)

We are planning to camp just off the road where Perk Canyon and James Lewis Canyon are together. Want to be close to the good road just in case the weather turns bad. "Don't know what to expect the last half of Oct.
Packing two kinds of clothes.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Went camping\scouting in lincoln this weekend. We camped at Bluff Springs off of Upper Rio Penasco Rd. The camping area was clean and quiet. Small stream right next to the site with trail access south into the bush. There were a lot of fresh tracks, urine and droppings scattered along the game trails we walked. Had to get up over 9000ft elevation to see any critters. Spooked up 5 cow elk near the top of the first ridge. Failed to see any mule deer however. The temperature dropped quite a bit over night to ~30 degrees. There is a stretch of private property on Rio Penasco that starts 2 miles east of Bluff Springs at a cattle guard and runs the remainder of that road until it reaches Hwy 130. I wont be back down there until mid November so hopefully there will be snow on the ground by then. Overall lincoln national forest is really beautiful. As you head east on hwy 82 from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft the desert turns to forest in a blink of an eye.