Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Unit 22 North Bull Elk Hunt in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Unit 22 North Bull Elk Hunt in AZ

Alexzand,
There are a couple of wilderness areas in the north and western portion of 22N. Your best access would be Fossil Creek Road through Strawberry to the 428 road turn-off. Then to the Twin Buttes road (FR 194) west. When the Twin Buttes road deadends adjacent to some private property, it is wilderness beyond that point. If you get a topo map it should show you where the wilderness areas are and there are no vehicles allowed into those areas. But do be cognizant that those are some of the "honey holes" for any locals that may have drawn the same tag you have. One place you might want to check out is Saddle Ridge Tank, not Saddle Ridge Pasture Tank. Saddle Ridge tank is inside the wildernesss area to the south of Twin Buttes and if there is water in it, that would be a good archery spot for that time of year. Again get a topomap of the area and locate Saddle Ridge tank on it. Triangulate the long and lat and put that into a GPS and it should take you right to it. It's not an easy tank to get to, that's why I think it might work for you if you can beat others to it. You can also look at that area on Google Earth as it shows the tanks by name and most of the roads in the area. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Jeffro,
Congratulations on your future UNIT 22 NORTH BULL ELK HUNT IN AZ.
It must be very exciting knowing you have a tag for it.
Please keep us posted on your progress on this hunt. How your scouting developed, animals seen and stuff. Good luck with it!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Well, I finally put a tag on my first archery bull. Rut started late but it seems to be picking up now. Need to help a buddy get him one. Not a long range rifle kill but thought you'd like to see some of what Arizona has to offer. Good luck to all the rest of you folks out there after these guys.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Chief1942 Very nice bull. Thank you for being so generous with information on the 22N Hunt. I hunted 13 years with a recurve bow up in unit 5BS and 7 but I lost my hearing and had to stop hunting, that was 10 years ago. I recently got a cochlear implant and a GPS so I am back at it. My 80 # recurve does not want to pull back like it used to so I have been fishing for a rifle tag. I got a rifle tag this year 22N late bull hunt along with 470 other hunters. Do you know of anyone in the 22 unit that will pull an elk off the mountain with horses? Maybe even pay some one to pack me in deep away from the rest of the yahoo's for a week and then come pack me out?
Thanks and what a great bull
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

ricasdad,
I appreciate the hearing issue. After 30 years as a firefighter, what with all the air horns and sirens, my hearing loss is significant. I have been using a Walker's Game Ear and that helps but it doesn't supply any directional hearing, just the sound itself.
As to your other question, I really can't be of service. I know there are a lot of folks here abouts that are really into horses and some have pack mules, but I don't know if they provide the type service you are seeking. Might check with the USFS Office in Payson and see if they have any suggestions. Good luck.