Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Taking simultaneous shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Taking simultaneous shots

We did this on a couple mulies last year.

They were about 450yards out we set up and I let my cousin have the first shot.

He was about 5 yards up the hill from me lying prone as was I and a few feet behind him, i put my ear pugs in and told him as soon as he was ready, to squeeze off the round and as soon as I heard the crack Id squeezed off. It was a great success! He hit his buck with a perfect lung heart shot and my doe was walking directly away from me and I spined her. His buck ran 20 yards and tipped over my doe dropped on impact.

It worked very well having a little distance between us with me slightly behind him with my ear plugs in and I was expecting his shot so there was no flinch.

Practice it a few times then get after it. Shoot straight and good luck!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhusband View Post

Does anyone have any experience with these situations? I would prefer to take turns but my hunting partners would want to try shooting at the same time. It's their hunt too so their opinions count.
We did ranching for wildlife at 3-Forks a few years ago. We had a nice group of elk about 250-300 yards away, and there were two of us with the guide. We asked about the simultaneous shot scenario and the guide just said "we've tried that and it never works." Instead, we both got set up, and I took the first shot. After I rolled this cow, the guide started blowing his cow call, and the herd just stood still looking around. I highly recommend the cow call after the first shot. I've seen this work at least 3 different times, even with my crappy calling skills!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilscungilli View Post
We did ranching for wildlife at 3-Forks a few years ago. We had a nice group of elk about 250-300 yards away, and there were two of us with the guide. We asked about the simultaneous shot scenario and the guide just said "we've tried that and it never works." Instead, we both got set up, and I took the first shot. After I rolled this cow, the guide started blowing his cow call, and the herd just stood still looking around. I highly recommend the cow call after the first shot. I've seen this work at least 3 different times, even with my crappy calling skills!
I agree with this.

Steve
Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Bronze Member

I have done this with my dad. He had a cow tag, I had a bull tag. We were about 100 yrds apart. We agreed through hand signals he would fire first and I would fire by the report of his rifle. 2 shots, 2 planted elk. Many Years ago we did the count thing. I was 17. He counted, neither one of us fired cause we wanted the other to shoot first. There was a spike out about 450 and we were elevating slightly different to make sure we hit it. The second go round he counted, I shot, he shot, planted elk. One bullet hole. Upon recovering the bullet. It was my 7mm GS (printed on the bullet). His .270 was shooting balistic tips. Anyway, he told he he saw the hide make dust through his scope just before he fired. For years I believed he pulled the shot to give it to me. He was a better shot back then. Goodlluck!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Done the count down several times successfully.Helps if your a seasoned elk hunter. One time doing it on last day and it was 2 shooters and spotter, I spotted the elk and my hunting spot so 6x6 was mine 502 yrds, the other shooter few elk and a to much 338 ultra for him. After count down mine was down and I look over and guy has blood running down forehead and dazed. My bud with lots of elk kills said "should I take him'' HE WAS spotter and I say its the ''last day" he just leans into tree for rest and crunches the other bull. Then the work started.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

It can be done but it is better to have one definite rather than 3 maybe's. If you don't feel confident let them do the shots together or you can be the first to shoot and they can follow. You need to plan before hand. Here is what my father and I did and my daughter and I do. Once the younger daughter starts hunting it will change.

Since there are two of us we have a left /right. Who ever is on the left shoots the animal on the left and who ever is on the right shoots right. It is like upland bird hunting in a group where you have shooting zones for flushing birds. If one animal is above the other on a hill left shooter takes high right shooter takes low. We can always change depending on how visible the animals are from each position.

You always let the less experienced shooter shoot first. When we count she always starts off with one, I count two, she says three and when she shoots I get to shoot. On one she is ready, on two I am ready, on three we both better be ready and then she fires.

We have never done this but we have a plan we have worked on if it ever happens. When we are hunting we simulate seeing two animals. We run through our plan and she says shoot instead of actually shooting.

It also depends on how well you know your hunting partners.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

I've always found having one person count pressures the first person shooting even if the person who is counting is shooting first. first shooter always being the (less experienced). I'll let the first shooter say set, when I say set they know that they can shoot at any time. I always let the other person shoot first. Not saying I am the most experienced shooter, just that I feel I can make the second shot without flinching from the first shot. I'll put my pugs in and as soon as they fire I squeeze off. We have killed many bulls this way, tag teaming to insure we don't lose them, if it doesn't drop ill squeeze off and also when shooting multiple animals in the same group.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html