Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Taking simultaneous shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Taking simultaneous shots

Later this week elk season opens. There are three of us and we are in a spike only unit. Last night I finally laid eyed on the herd and there were four spikes that I know of. IF things line up just right we could have the chance for all three of us to pull the trigger at the same time, but is it a good idea?

If we could get within around 200 yards I don't have a problem doing it that way, but it would be a very tall order to get three guys that close to the bulls without alerting any cows. Since we will most likely be shooting from farther out, I'm afraid that I'll pull the shot. I prefer to be surprised by the shot rather than having to make the gun fire on the count of three.

On the other hand, my fear is that once one person shoots, the whole herd will make tracks for the next county. What I have seen before with other animals (not with elk) is that the first shot kind of confuses them. They aren't exactly sure where it came from so they just stand there. Once a second shot rings out they are off.

Does anyone have any experience with these situations? I would prefer to take turns but my hunting partners would want to try shooting at the same time. It's their hunt too so their opinions count.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Taking simultaneous shots

practice before hand and see if you can do it well. getting all the bulls broadside at the same time with no cows in the way could be tough too.
I wouldn't.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Designate one as the "shooter" (rock paper scissors works) then get everyone set up. Each guy should be in the firing process and on the crack of the shooters gun finish your shot. I wouldn't do it very far.

Steve
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
practice before hand and see if you can do it well. getting all the bulls broadside at the same time with no cows in the way could be tough too.
I wouldn't.
Practice would be a good idea, but I don't think we would get the opportunity. Last night there were several times they were all broadside without cows in the way, but the tough thing would have been keeping closer cows from busting us while getting close enough.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Designate one as the "shooter" (rock paper scissors works) then get everyone set up. Each guy should be in the firing process and on the crack of the shooters gun finish your shot. I wouldn't do it very far.

Steve
I'm going to lobby for this plan. I would really like to have a non-shooter watching through the spotting scope. I might volunteer for this position but it's going to be tough. I've hunted elk unsuccessfully many years (military life has prevented me from really getting to know my areas and the elk patterns). This year I feel more prepared than ever and to sit back and be the last shooter will be difficult but if it's the right thing to do then it's the right thing to do.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Lining up on a firing line always seem to turn into a mess from my experience, we kill multiple elk all the time but we'll position shooters where when they move they'll come into one person at a time or we'll take one at long range let them move of a little and calm down then take another one at long range never pushing them out of the area.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

Google 'herd-bustin'.
Actually, all 3 set up, first shooter identifies target, after his shot, each man determines if he can down another. If that does not work, google 'party-huntin'