Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

tactics for finding elk during colorado's 1st rifle season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: tactics for finding elk during colorado's 1st rifle season

No clue on horse prices or where to even rent them as I've never done it. Probably best to try to do some research online for that. The other thing to look into is maybe a drop camp, like the OP is doing. Might not be any opportunities left for that this year, but it could be worth a shot. Probably just as cheap as renting horses plus feeding them for a week...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

Good suggestion made earlier about getting to a high spot where you can glass a lot of territory. An elk's range covers many miles.
A couple things to consider. When you get to your camp be careful how you scout. Wander around the country side enough and you will run anything near to camp off. You don't have to see elk to know they are there. I always told my drop camp hunters to climb a hill close to camp and glass early and late if they wanted, but hike the trails more around mid-day and hunt for fresh tracks and poop... and don't go wandering around in the timber and other elky looking areas bumping them out of bed.
When I'm not seeing them I cover a lot of ground looking for fresh sign.
Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Good suggestion made earlier about getting to a high spot where you can glass a lot of territory. An elk's range covers many miles.
A couple things to consider. When you get to your camp be careful how you scout. Wander around the country side enough and you will run anything near to camp off. You don't have to see elk to know they are there. I always told my drop camp hunters to climb a hill close to camp and glass early and late if they wanted, but hike the trails more around mid-day and hunt for fresh tracks and poop... and don't go wandering around in the timber and other elky looking areas bumping them out of bed.
When I'm not seeing them I cover a lot of ground looking for fresh sign.
Good Luck!
I agree with you on scouting but lot depends on how soon they get a drop camp set up before season starts. First season is only 5 days long
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Glass, glass, and glass some more. If you see no sign, check out another drainage. I usually look for good sized pieces of dark timber on the upper third of a slope and think to myself where they might be feeding. Concentrate on the area in between those spots early morning and just glass. If you know of any access points below you where hunters are coming in you can look at the terrain search out corridors or saddles where elk may leave one drainage and head to the next. I've hunted CO many years and honestly have filled my tag much more often than not, the only tags I didn't punch were archery and that was about 50%, rifle bull elk I've filled every one of em (6 so far). If what your doing isn't working I can't stress enough you need to change tactics and go find them. If you know where your camp will be, start on Google Earth and get yourself familiar with the terrain and cover now. You should show up at camp and know what's where and where you want to start. I always take two rifles, one to 'hunt' with that's capable of 600 yards if need be and light enough to carry easily, and the other is a 30" barreled 300 RUM shooting 200gr accubonds @ 3250. That one has taken elk to 850 and a mule deer at 1180. Most elk I've shot have been at 300 or less with the exception of the last several years when I started playing with that 300. If you can effectively shoot to 800 it really does open up a lot of opportunity in the western states.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalm View Post
Glass, glass, and glass some more. If you see no sign, check out another drainage. I usually look for good sized pieces of dark timber on the upper third of a slope and think to myself where they might be feeding. Concentrate on the area in between those spots early morning and just glass. If you know of any access points below you where hunters are coming in you can look at the terrain search out corridors or saddles where elk may leave one drainage and head to the next. I've hunted CO many years and honestly have filled my tag much more often than not, the only tags I didn't punch were archery and that was about 50%, rifle bull elk I've filled every one of em (6 so far). If what your doing isn't working I can't stress enough you need to change tactics and go find them. If you know where your camp will be, start on Google Earth and get yourself familiar with the terrain and cover now. You should show up at camp and know what's where and where you want to start. I always take two rifles, one to 'hunt' with that's capable of 600 yards if need be and light enough to carry easily, and the other is a 30" barreled 300 RUM shooting 200gr accubonds @ 3250. That one has taken elk to 850 and a mule deer at 1180. Most elk I've shot have been at 300 or less with the exception of the last several years when I started playing with that 300. If you can effectively shoot to 800 it really does open up a lot of opportunity in the western states.
Great advice there...
Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Yup, more great advice.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks so much for the input, every little bit is much appreciated.