Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

Ok what is your furthest shot you ever made without a scope?
What is your furthest shot with a basic hunting rifle no frills with a no frills scope?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

HunterBob, your posts are off topic. Take it somewhere else.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Maybe next year if I head up to Idaho, but for this year I sure that my .243AI shooting a 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter @3289FPS will be more than enough for a Cow Elk, Many many Elk were taken with a 30-30 and the .243 had a lot more power...........I think its more of a mind set, that tells us what will work or wont work. I shot right behind the shoulder than punches a whole through both Lungs?

I taked with The teck at Barnes bullets,.....................He said that he has seen a cow Elk taken at 400 yards with the 85gr TSX that was found on the far side under the hide................The Cow went 50 yards ......

If and when I want to hunt for a Bull Elk, the .243 will have to do and Im sure it will do.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

HunterBob---It looks like someone appointed themselves Moderator and are quoting rules that IMHO you have not violated! I haven't seen you say a derogatory word about other people taking long range shots and I think your question of how long people can shoot that you asked about without a scope is not out of line, but maybe should be asked on your own thread. After all, there is even a Forum on bows on this website. Maybe you got off topic a little, but many times threads do and then have a way of getting back on.

Anyway, here are my thoughts in getting back on topic about a .243 or other cailibers like a 30-30 for elk. What was used years ago and did the job is one thing because they had nothing else to use and most of the animals were probably shot at a fairly short distance. When you start increasing the distance on shots at an elk the smaller calibers quite simply do not come close to the energy needed for a quick, humane kill when placed in the vitals. Sure a 22-250, a .220, .243, or 30-30 will kill the animal most of the time, but as another member stated, how far will it go before he drops? Use a caliber intended for a bigger animal where more energy is needed for good penetration before proper expansion of the bullet takes place and the animal will not go very far. Finally, the statement was made about the 30-30 killing more animals than any other cartridge. I believe that statement applies to deer, or at least it once did not too long ago, but the 30-06 is the winner when you talk about overall number of animals take with a particular cartridge.

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-30-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Yes , lol - topgun 30-06 , I really wanted to get around to what you said, and it was a great thread on it. See , I was thinking about my grandson, he has a 243, and I thought it might be a little small, if we ran into bear in the northern states. Still I was amazed at the info from the other hunters using the 243 on Elk size game. I know its a good caliber and for long range too. Yes the days of the 30-30 are past, but that 30-06 can't be beat. I know that. I got a model 700 , 06 ...
Between my Grandsons and son we got two 243's two 308's a long range custom 270 which is sweet.... We have yet to shoot 500 or 600 yds with our rifles here unless we go to the hill country , so I was super interested in what they were saying about the long shots etc. I'm fixin to start my own thread on a 243 taking a bear.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

If I lived up in Idaho where I could hunt for Elk every year I would have had a .280 Ackley built.................Had no Idea at the time that I was having the .243 Built that I was going to marry someone who has a Dad and two brothers that live in Idaho and Elk hunting is what they do ...................But at this point Im at least a year away from a Cooper Excaliber .280 AI. I agree with what everyone has pointed out to me. Your right I would be much better off with someting bigger. When I drew a Bull Tag in Nevada I had a 7mm-08, which would work but choose to borrow a 300 Win Mag. My bull was a tad bit over 400 yards and Im glad I had borrowed the 300. The 300 guy is dead and the 300 is gone. Next year I will be up in Idaho with my .243 but will be hunting with Larry who shoots a 30-06 and Johnny who shoot a .280......

I still get more excited when I see a really nice Mule Deer Buck over a Bull Elk...................I will probably end up with a Deer tag and just see how good the Elk hunting is ..........I was told its all about the weather. A warm season, no way, a really cold one with lots of Snow..............thats something else...........
You know how things work out ...........find your self in the woods with just a deer tag and guess what you see..........................
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

It doesn't sound like you are enjoying the answers you are getting. If you mess it up because of being undergunned, I'm sure we won't be reading about it here.

You could buy yourself a $400-500 used rifle to shoot your elk and borrow a scope from another rifle, but it seems that is too much to ask. For many people, that is all the gun they will ever own. The rifle I am using for my 6.5x284 build was a 270 Win and I paid exactly $285 for it. The one I am using for my Mauser build was a stainless long action 116 in 7mm Rem Mag and I traded that for a slug gun that was worth a bit over $500.

Do it right, use enough gun.