Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

So, if the only rifle you are carrying is a 243AI and the only shot you get is at 600 yards, what will you do ? Will you regret then that you didn't have something better ? Whats the total cost of doing a hunt like that ? Lodging, tags, gas, camping supplies etc ?

You could buy yourself a 112 or 116 used, put on a 26" barrel of whatever caliber (7mm Rem Mag ?) and have about $700 tied up in it. If the likelihood of using it again soon is low, put a different barrel on it or sell it. You should get most of the money back. Potentially just put the original barrel back on and break even and you still have the good barrel if you need to do it again. Or sell it.

Elk, moose and the predators that go after them can all soak up a lot of punishment and they do not watch Hollywood movies which have shown that you fall over after a single shot. Since this is potentially not an experience you will repeat every year, be prepared as best you can. I am building my 6.5x284, but even with that I would think carefully about whether I would want something better. A 7mm rem Mag is a straight drop in on any of the small shank long actions. Just change the bolt head.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
So, if the only rifle you are carrying is a 243AI and the only shot you get is at 600 yards, what will you do ? Will you regret then that you didn't have something better ? Whats the total cost of doing a hunt like that ? Lodging, tags, gas, camping supplies etc ?

You could buy yourself a 112 or 116 used, put on a 26" barrel of whatever caliber (7mm Rem Mag ?) and have about $700 tied up in it. If the likelihood of using it again soon is low, put a different barrel on it or sell it. You should get most of the money back. Potentially just put the original barrel back on and break even and you still have the good barrel if you need to do it again. Or sell it.

Elk, moose and the predators that go after them can all soak up a lot of punishment and they do not watch Hollywood movies which have shown that you fall over after a single shot. Since this is potentially not an experience you will repeat every year, be prepared as best you can. I am building my 6.5x284, but even with that I would think carefully about whether I would want something better. A 7mm rem Mag is a straight drop in on any of the small shank long actions. Just change the bolt head.
I wouldn't take a shot that far on a large animal, even with my 308. A picture, yes. I pride myself on still hunting and stalking. I would try and get close to within 200 yds or less. If it didn't work out; No regrets, it would be a good hunt regardless.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
I wouldn't take a shot that far on a large animal, even with my 308. A picture, yes. I pride myself on still hunting and stalking. I would try and get close to within 200 yds or less. If it didn't work out; No regrets, it would be a good hunt regardless.
This is a Long Range Hunting site and we do talk about it and if it bothers you maybe should post somewhere else and you might want to read the rules for posting.

Long Range Hunting Online Magazine - FAQ
Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Tom H
No , it doesn't bother me and I Like seeing people do those longshots. I like reading about your stories, everybody's. I just love hunting and all of it is good. I wished I could shoot like some of you guys do. Sometimes I can still make some longshots with a scope I got. From what I see a lot of you have some great rifles too. My eyes don't work as good as when I was young. Now mind you, when I was in my 20's I shot woodchucks with my 308 out to 300 + yards a lot of times , with open sights back then, in the 60's; so I don't mean to ruffle your tail feathers or anyone else's. Cause I aint leaving,
I like everybody. Maybe I just didn't say enough to make it clear. It wasn't my intention to hurt your feelings.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Westcliff

When I started out I had no intention of hunting Elk with it as I had drawn a Bull tag in Nevada about 6 years ago and I still need to wait 3 more years to start applying again.
My Wife of 3 years just happen to have Parents that live In Northern Idaho, and when we visit all I hear is WHEN ARE YOU COMING UP TO HUNT ELK WITH US........
Yes I could sell it but I have $2000 into it, or I could hunt with it ............and the answer to your question, NO I would not take a 600 yard shot, 200 would be the Max and would I turn it down, Yes have in the past will in the future. The shot would have to be perfect nice broad side shot. The first time I hunt up there will be next year and I only plan of buying a Deer tag just to see what the chances are of running into a lot of Elk. I probably will but then Jackies Dad hunts for one reason only and thats meat, so it the opportunity arises for me to help him out I will..........
If Elk hunting is in the furture I will be looking at a .270 WSM or the .280 AI............

But until that happens I just might prove to myself if it can or cant not work out the way I want it to...................Jackies Dad has killed a lot of Elk with a .270 and the 130........... I asked him, Hey Larry ever consider getting a bigger cartridge......... Larry's reply Why would I need anything bigger?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

I'm not suggesting you do anything to your 243 !!! Just suggesting you could easy throw together a nice accurate rifle in a more suitable Elk caliber and not be out $2000. For the hunt I am sure you could borrow the scope of your 243 - and to verify the drop of the rifle.

I have built several guns now for around $750 without optics. Particularly if you look for a used Savage 112 with a good laminate stock as the donor you can really keep the bill down.

I don't understand the basic premise: Most people are not "1 rifle shooters". An Elk hunt is the perfect excuse to get another rifle. Most of us get the elk guns long before there is any plan in place to go hunting. Once you are equipped and ready, then one can make an elk hunt happen many different ways. But to have a tag and just want to work with your woodchuck/coyote/whitetail gun is a bit odd....
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
Tom H
No , it doesn't bother me and I Like seeing people do those longshots. I like reading about your stories, everybody's. I just love hunting and all of it is good. I wished I could shoot like some of you guys do. Sometimes I can still make some longshots with a scope I got. From what I see a lot of you have some great rifles too. My eyes don't work as good as when I was young. Now mind you, when I was in my 20's I shot woodchucks with my 308 out to 300 + yards a lot of times , with open sights back then, in the 60's; so I don't mean to ruffle your tail feathers or anyone else's. Cause I aint leaving,
I like everybody. Maybe I just didn't say enough to make it clear. It wasn't my intention to hurt your feelings.
your not hurting my feeling but if you read the rules "This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics."