Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

Last year my buddy took an antelope with a 338 RUM with a 300gr Berger and a couple elk with a 270 Win, it does not matter what we're after we just grab a rifle that seems good for the day and go pile up a body count.

You need to just take what you have and go kill a couple elk and quite banging on your key board!!!!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Jeff

I cant argue with anything you have said, and yes your right I have no education on this subject. I dont want to look back and wish I had bought a 300. I have a .243 with a McMillian Remington Sporter stock on a 700 action with a #4 24in barrel that I enjoy shooting. I have no idea of how much it weighs, it might be nice to know howerver.
In your opinion does the 300 need a MB? Would a 26 Inch Barrel be enough? What barrel contour would be your choice ? Do you hike a lot with your 300? and how is the noise level shooting your 300 without ear protection out hunting? I would guess that you shoot only one bullet in your 300 all the time for Elk, Deer, or Antelope what bullet is that? Do you like the thumb hole stock over the standard one ?
Looking back on the 300 I use to kill my bull ..................it was really pleasant to hunt with. I believe it was a Rem 700 Laminated stock stainless action and barrel, would guess that it had a 24in barrel and had a factory MB..............
Im going to pick up and handle some 300's and just learn somthing.........

Its like buying the 12x50 Swarovski's ...............I dont have to wonder what Im missing out on .

Greg
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Yes you need a muzzle brake. I brake everything even my 6br. I like seeing my hits and the added accuracy the brake gives at distance. Not to even mention it makes the 300 win a kitty cat to shoot.

I shoot the 215 Berger now all the time. No need to change loads it works fine for everything I want to hunt at all distances and bucks the wind very well.

I will not tell you not to wear hearing protection. The brake does add some noise. But I have taken several shots out in open country with no protection. If I am practicing or close to any objects like a truck or rock that will send the noise back I wear foam plugs. They cost a quarter a set and they are in my bag, pocket, around my neck on a string or what ever. Any rifle blast can be damaging to ears, why not just get in the habit to use them most of the time with any rifle or hand gun.

My favorite contour is a Sendero. I have set up several with 26" tubes that shot well at 1000 yards. The JP brake I use will add about 1 1/2" if installed correctly.

I have hiked in on some long hikes. Average is probably about 2 to 3 miles a day in mild mountain terrain for me. With a long hike being 4 to 5 miles in.

Yes I like the thumb hole stock and so does everyone that shoots it.

Go look at a Sendero someplace. That should give you a good idea of the feel and weight of a rifle I prefer.

I guess you didn't read the thread from my last years hunts I gave you the link to. It not only would answer a lot of these questions but would show you photos of all I have stated.

One more thing. You have a 243AI, is a 280 really a large enough step? I think a 300 would better complement your line up and open more doors with room to grow. If I had a 22 LR and wanted to step up a 22 mag would be a step up. But a 223 would do all the 22 mag would and lots more. Does that make any sense?

Jeff
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Jeff

I cant argue with anything you have said, and yes your right I have no education on this subject. I dont want to look back and wish I had bought a 300. I have a .243 with a McMillian Remington Sporter stock on a 700 action with a #4 24in barrel that I enjoy shooting. I have no idea of how much it weighs, it might be nice to know howerver.
In your opinion does the 300 need a MB? Would a 26 Inch Barrel be enough? What barrel contour would be your choice ? Do you hike a lot with your 300? and how is the noise level shooting your 300 without ear protection out hunting? I would guess that you shoot only one bullet in your 300 all the time for Elk, Deer, or Antelope what bullet is that? Do you like the thumb hole stock over the standard one ?
Looking back on the 300 I use to kill my bull ..................it was really pleasant to hunt with. I believe it was a Rem 700 Laminated stock stainless action and barrel, would guess that it had a 24in barrel and had a factory MB..............
Im going to pick up and handle some 300's and just learn somthing.........

Its like buying the 12x50 Swarovski's ...............I dont have to wonder what Im missing out on .

Greg
Greg,

My post wasn't directed at you particularly, just a general soap box statement for the audience. It's just commo0n sense really.

If my friend goes hunting elk with his 243 or if Rhian (bingreen) who I also consider a firend, picks what ever rifle, I say nothing to them. They are both experienced big boys who can make their own decisions. Bigger isn't the only way to go, it's just better from a pragmatic view. Like I said, I choose to improve the odds if I can.

As for recoil, there are a number of ways to deal with it including but not limited to installing a brake. I used a slip on recoil pad for my 300 RUM for a couple of years and eventually I learned to shoot without it. There's a lot of technique involved. I got a brake installed on my recent 300 RUM build.

Weight... My rifles weigh about 12 lbs with NF scopes and bi-pods. You could maybe shave that down to 8 with an ultra light and lesser scope and bi-pod. 4lb diff. Think about it. Is 2-4 lb going to handicap you? How much does your day pack and glass weigh? Do you have a few lbs around the waist you could loose? I do If a couple of extra lbs of rifle in the field is going to be a deal breaker, should you even be there at all? My fitness is a lot bigger issue than my rifle weight.

I used to hunt everything with a 7 RM and never felt undergunned, including elk, and I still wouldn't at short to mid ranges. Still, I feel better with the big 30.

My 300 RUM will weigh about 3 lbs more than your 243 all decked out and the recoil is not an issue, with or without the brake.

If I only had one rifle for everything, yotes, deer, antelope, elk, bear, whatever, it would probably be something like a 300 Dakota. Better to overgunned for the smaller critters than undergunned for the bigger ones. And.... I'm not necessarily saying you're under gunned with a 243. A bigger bullet will increase the odds of you putting that bull down where you want it. My second rifle would probably be something in the 6 - 6.5 range. Start big and work down.

I also like the Sendero style rifle for long range and it helps absorb some recoil.

Cheers

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
the last time I was in Scheels in Great Falls, which has been quite a few years now, there were a number of nice bulls on the wall that had been shot with a 243. I have a friend that is 4 for 4 taking bulls with a 243... maybe more now, that was a couple years ago. Would I hunt bull elk with a 243? If it was the only rifle I had... yes. I would use bullet to cause max damage to both lungs as possible and limit my range to ensure penetration of both lungs.

That said, I have a choice of rifles and my choice will be a 30 cal rifle, and since long range shots are on the menu, it will be a large powerful 30 cal.

It's all about the odds fellas. Put a hole through both lungs and the critter will die. The question is when and where. You can bring up all kinds of anecdotal stories about how a bull shot with a 338 ran for a mile or how a 233 dropped one in it's tracks. Not all animals act the same when shot. I've seen a buck antelope shot with a 1" entrance hole and 2" exit hole through both lungs take off like it wasn't hit and sprint in a 100 yd death circle before it piled up. When he took off, I thought to myself awwww $#!T

Bigger bullets make bigger holes. Bigger holes drain bloodmore quickly. The quicker the blood drains and blood pressure drops, the sooner the brain dies from lack of oxygen. Some critters might get a last shot of adrenalin before expiring while others succumb more quickly. Some might be incapacitated by CNS shock.

I choose to improve the odds.
There's the truth well said!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Jeff

All that makes sence I will just have to educate myself and handle some sendaro's to get the fell of what you talking about.

You dont necessarily shoot Berger Hunting bullets do? .............I see that a lot of guys use Berger Target bullets to hunt with.

The 300 will give me more room to grow..................good point.

G
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Shot my first elk in 1961 with a 180 gr Partition using an 06. 10 years later I bought a 300 WM and have never looked back. You can kill an elk with just about anything as the posts here prove. I have seen them killed with 250's on up. But if you want to kill it cleanly and ethically time after time, one must use enough gun and bullet. I personally know of 4 elk killed with 6 mm caliber rifles. One was recovered the other 3 lost. Small bullets make small holes, small wound channels and leave "no" room for error. If one can make a perfect shot "every" time then caliber makes little difference. If your part of the 90+ % that occasionally does not make the perfect shot then use the largest cartridge that you can shoot accurately. Elk are big, tough and will wander into some of the most nasty country on the planet, when wounded. On dry hard ground with little blood they are not likely to be recovered.