Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

Nice airplane, so what's it got to do with a 243,,,, I say we are getting a little off topic ... lol
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

This entire thread is a button pushing exercise by Mr Du errr...... Along with several other threads with similar button pushing titles... I thought cabin fever was something people got in winter ??
Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I told a friend at work about this thread so he sent me a pic of one of his bulls, average bull for this area and we kill quite a few and a few bigger. Anyway this bull dropped so hard it broke his bottom jaw, 105 Berger through the shoulders at 100 yards in the timber. Man I wish we could get good thirds on a bull!

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?-077.jpg

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?-078.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
This entire thread is a button pushing exercise by Mr Du errr...... Along with several other threads with similar button pushing titles... I thought cabin fever was something people got in winter ??
Yeah, that's exactly the feel I get.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I told a friend at work about this thread so he sent me a pic of one of his bulls, average bull for this area and we kill quite a few and a few bigger. Anyway this bull dropped so hard it broke his bottom jaw, 105 Berger through the shoulders at 100 yards in the timber. Man I wish we could get good thirds on a bull!

Attachment 24056

Attachment 24057
Well, it appears that our Idaho bulls wandered over your way---------------no thirds here either. But, hey, you can't eat thirds.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Thats true, I do have a part of me that likes to push buttons, however it was not my intent with the question I posted. I push a lot of them at work with the guys that still feel that Obama will go down in History as the greatest President .................In US history.

When I had my .243AI built I was not aware nor did I have much knowlege about twist rates. If I had a do over it would have a 1x8 Even then the reamer still gave me a long wide throut that will NOT shoot boat-tail bullets. There are very few really good Flat base ones out there. Because of the Bullet supply issues all I could find were Sierra Pro Hunter's so that will be the bullet I use this fall for Mule Deer and Elk.

All of us on this sight have gone through learing curves, mine might be a tad bit longer than yours but Im still learning.

Thanks for not being to hard on me.

G
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM

I've been hunting elk in Colorado since the late 90's. I started with a .270 pushing 150 NP, moved up to a .300 WM and Barnes 168 TSX loads three or four years later. I've killed a lot of elk with both. I've always taken a back up rifle just in case, and so far have never had a need to fire a shot from the back up. Most years it was a 30-30 Marlin. This year I have a new FN .300 WSM for my main rifle, and will be taking my .243 for the first time as a short range solution for the timber, or back up if need be.

I think it all boils down to being honest with one's self as far as their abilities and experience merit. I've put a good number of the deer and elk down with a neck or head shot, and I know exactly what my limits are for all of my rifles. My .300's can certainly reach out there, I know I can place bullets on paper at extended ranges, but I am not good with trying to end a game animal with those loads past 650 yards. My .243 is limited to elk at 200 yards, and only on a stationary target, calm conditions and a very calculated send.

I lost a cow two years ago on a 700 yard shot from my 300 WM that I saw hit hard. We tracked her for over a mile, saw that she bedded four different times, but she continued to chase the herd on to private property that we couldn't get permission to recover her from.

It's all about knowing the limits of your gear and yourself.