Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

Over the past years many Elk have been hunted successfully with the 30-30 and similar rounds.................yet today when someone mentions using the .243 we are looked at like we are crazy.
Some years in the past when I was much yonger I hunter with a guy that used a old 32-40 probably not as good as a 30-30 but close. One moring we were hunting along a ridge and came on to a young forky. He hit him right in the neck, and the buck started to take off I then hit him, but pure chance in the neck also, he dropped like a rock. Heres my thought, the .243 I used was smaller in bullet diameter but the power factor was so much greater. In our past the 30-30 was a great hunting round but today it is not, why?
Im confident that if the distance is kept under 200 yards that with a good bullet and in the hands of someone who can put that bullet were it will do the most damage that the .243 is a much more efficent round than the 30-30 ever thought about being........................yet when talking with my brother in law who hunts elk he thought I was crazy...........................funny how things change how our thought change based on what other think and feel rather than what experiance shows us.

Forgive my spelling
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

When your punching a hole through something's vitals, chances are fair it'll die. Small holes increase the likelihood of the animal increasing the distance from where it was shot to where it died. After you've packed out a few elk from the steeps, you'd do just about anything to lessen the distance you need to unnecessarily pack meat, usually straight up the mountain. Big holes that go deep decrease your odds of getting a runner and that's reason enough for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

The 30-30 was not a great hunting round, which is why its use has faded away. Its use was popular because at the time it was a powerful accurate round. When new cartridges were developed, hunters quickly realized the inadequacies of the 30-30.. A .243 on Elk? Maybe if I needed to survive.

Don't handicap your hunting or unnecessarily put animals at risk of being wounded and not harvested.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

The 30-30 will fade away just like what we use today will fade away in 30 years. I have killed a lot of deer with a .243 and all went a very short distance when hit in the right spot.......................Does speed kill better than bullet diameter? When in Idaho I talked with a lot of Elk hunters that told me that they would not hunt with anything smaller than a 300 Win Mag, so im handicaping myself with a .270 or a .280. Your probably right about the .243, but my point was that the .243 is a far better round than the 30-30. I have only shot one Bull Elk in my life. It scored 320 but with a 180gr bullet from a 300 win Mag it still went over 100 yards
The bullet went through the lungs and broke the far shoulder, which proves your point very well.........................yet on the hunt another guy killed a really nice Bull with his 25-06 and it traveled less distance than mine .............you can never tell what damage any bullet really does. I guess my thought was that the .243 has a lot more going for it than the older cartridges yet in those by gone days the 30-30 or any of the others were real Elk killers expecially when they came with smoke less powder. Maybe Im doing more talking to myself as my big caliber is a .243 AI..........I will find out more this January when Elk season starts
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

The 30 30 has taken more animals than any caliber over the years. I carried one with open sites; carried it hunting mountains around rocky ledges, where it would be fast shooting at close range; in brushy woods where shots were close. It can't be beat for that. If you are confident of the rifle you have, that's all that matters. My Favorite is my 308 Savage, and I always say bigger is better. I have shot deer with a 243 too, and they ran 50 yds with a heart shot. I had done the same with my 308, and on occasion, they had run 50 yds.. bullet placement is everything, but critters just don't know when they are dead sometimes.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

Your right about that ..................I once shot a coyote with my 22-250 blew a huge exit hole out the other side and he still ran over 75 yards...........we could not believe it.... Like you said some animal just dont know they are dead.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

I have a friend from Montana that always used to hunt elk with a 220 Swift. I thought he was crazy but he and his dad killed a lot of elk. If a 220 Swift can do it, I see no reason why a 243 couldn't do it. However, I don't think the thought process is that a 243 CANT kill an elk, but it won't always kill it in the most efficient manner. Why you are spewing out a 300 grain bullet from a 338 Edge or the like, I believe you have a bit more room for error than with a 243.