Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Shot placement on elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shot placement on elk!

Thank you Sir, as that is really appreciated! I started hunting with my Dad in 1953 when I was 6 years old and have great respect for all animals and the way people treat or mistreat them. Most people that aren't hunters probably can't understand how a person can be such an animal lover and still kill things. I'd like to think and believe that all true sportsmen have that respect and it's well know that hunting and fishing has done more for the outdoors than all of these so-called enviromentalist groups combined!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Topgun 30-06, I hope you accept my apologizes for post #30, I must be my time of the month or something, I should not be posting this time of year as I think I let some stress from work out on you. Again I would ask your forgiveness for that post!!

On the subject of 500yrds with a 30-06 we are likely getting tweeked for the same kind of thing just on opposite sides of the spectrum. I take a lot of guys out for their first elk or their last elk, many shots and elk have been taken in the 450-550 range with a 30-06 or similar cartridge, in every case it has done a fine job.

It really bums me out when a guy just want to go elk hunting but everyone piles on that you have to have all this special stuff, and you can't kill an elk if you don't shoot this at that. I love to take those guys out and help them get it done with what they have, after they shoot some they usually learn the direction they need to go for themselves and their area. Another thing that bums me hard is when some old guy just wants to shoot one last elk but guys turn them down cause their not as hardcore as they are, I'll work my butt of to make sure that guy kills an elk with his old gun, they always want to kill that last one with their old rifle.

Just a quick look at Hornady factory ammo will show that there is factory ammo that will meet your specs for a 500yrd elk with a 30-06.
Take a 30-06 loaded with a 180 Interbond clocking 2750ish at normal elk hunting elevation here which is 6000ft min and your around 2000 fps with 1600ish ft lbs of energy at 500yrds, if I punched it in right. Now by the numbers it's well within GTG and by my experience of doing it multiple times I feel fairly good with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

No problem man, as it's water under the bridge, as they say!!! Good to hear that you do what you do, as that is very commendable. I think I mentioned that I didn't have the stats available for the 180 grainer in 30-06, so I won't argue with your numbers because they are probably correct with the knowledge I have on ballistics. Mainly I was just trying to get across to the OP to not push the envelope as a newbie to elk hunting and be sorry. I'm obviously opinionated on certain subjects and one of my big ones is killing an animal humanely and as quickly as possible within the parameters of the gun and the ability of who's using it. I hope everyone would agree that should be something to strive for on anything we shoot. The 30-06 is the perfect caliber and that's why it's my username. Of two safes full of rifles, my 30-06s are the biggest caliber in there and they will take an elk with no problem with the proper bonded bullet and not pushing the envelope. Take care---MIKE

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

Good comments Bigngreen and Topgun!! Both of you have more animals down than I do, so I am always willing to learn from you guys.... I will strive to be alert if a shot is Iffy and if recovery can be made in a timely fashion.

I may still take that head shot, but I am going to practice it alot more at the range... I will practice the rested shot and the quick follow up shot more often.
Thanks for your imput guys....

Russell
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Behind the shoulder, on lug area and you will have meat on freezer.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Amen 300rum!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Two best places to shoot an elk are the lungs and up hill from the truck