Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Shot placement on elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Re: Shot placement on elk!

I have never been on an elk hunt and we are planning on going on a trip to the badlands of north dakota and other than getting in good physical shape and practicing with my rifle i'm not sure of what i might expect . My brother has been out there many times for mule deer and tells me it can get rough . We will be guided every day. I am shooting a ruger m77 in 30.06 with a 3x9 scope . I have hunted whitetail for years and am no novice but this is a bigger animal and bigger land can any one offer some advice
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Bohunk100

I have used the 30-06 Springfield with great success. For elk I have used Barnes 168 gr. TSX/TTSX, Hornady 165gr Interbonds, and 165gr Nosler Accubonds. They all worked well. I prefer the Barnes bullets. But they are getting expensive. Therefore, Hornady and Nosler have worked in the past so some range time will determine the best accuracy in my rifles. Shot placement is the key. Practice out to 500yds and you'll be OK.
In most cases you can close the distance if you take advantage of cover and the WIND.

Get to a high spot and don't shilouette yourself. Glass as much country as you can, study your maps and take advantage of any cover available.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 07-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

You will have some hard hunting as those Badlands aren't called that for nothing! I use the Interbonds in my 30-06s for elk and they definitely do the job. However, I don't believe anyone should be shooting a bull at 500 yards with that caliber. I would limit it to about 350 if it were me.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
You will have some hard hunting as those Badlands aren't called that for nothing! I use the Interbonds in my 30-06s for elk and they definitely do the job. However, I don't believe anyone should be shooting a bull at 500 yards with that caliber. I would limit it to about 350 if it were me.
500 yrds is not an issue if you can wait for the shot and make it! I prefer 180gr+ bullets for the elk in the 30 cal's. Tuck a 180gr bullet behind the shoulder and they don't last long, most spin and drop within a few yrds.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have the stats for the 30-06 180 grainers, but the 165 grain Interbond Factory ammo drops 46.2" at 500 yards with a 200 yard zero and has dropped to a velocity of 1870fps and is down to 1281 ft./lbs. of energy at that distance. I'm of the old school that it's best to have 1500 ft./lbs of energy on a bull elk at POI and that's why I made that statement, not the fact that he can't be hit at that distance. I think most guides and outfitters would not want a person shooting at a bull that far with a 30-06 and would want them using a heavier caliber for a little bit better insurance that bull won't be lost on that long of a shot. JMO from 57 years of hunting!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Bronze Member

The 06 has put a lot of meat in the freezer. But know your limits, although it's been used in 1000 yd matches the energy is what your main concern is. If you have been the barnes bullet don't let price enter into it a guided hunt maybe a once in a life bull .what the he'll does the price bullets do with it.geter done.good luck and good hunting 1300 meters.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Bronze Member

Here is a Link to a Page on Shot Placement with Graphics.....

shot placement

One piece of advice i'd offer is that if its near dark and you have a close shot at a cow elk (150-200 yards) that is near the tree-line and can run into the timber after getting shot.... consider a head/neck shot.

I shot a cow elk at the end of shooting light (last 30 minutes) and punched it through both shoulders with a 200 grn Nosler Accubond... she reared up on her hind legs, and i just knew she was going to drop.... No, she ran about
200 yards!! Looked for 20 minutes in the dark, and had to recover her the next morning... cow was hit Solid through both shoulders.

Wish I had done a Head/Neck shot in that situation, I had a good rest. And if you are going to shoot for the vitals area... shoot, rack your bolt, find the elk in the scope and shoot a second shot if possible...

It would be a good idea to practice this at the Shooting Range. Shooting the first shot at a target, rack your bolt, and fire a second shot hitting the target Without Breaking your cheek- weld to the stock and looking through the scope. Do this from field positions... prone, sitting, and kneeling with shooting sticks.

This type of practice of putting two shots on Target, Quickly, will SAVE you alot of grief and tracking time!!